[Reader-list] On (Pakistani) Preacarity

Awadhendra Sharan sharan at sarai.net
Mon Mar 14 12:01:49 IST 2005

Hi Monica,

Adding to Rehan's:

For most people in the 'third world' precariousness has historically
been the defining character of existence, in colonial and post-colonial
times.  The question then is not whether there is a greater uncertainty
now and whether there has been a breakdown of a presumed consensus, but
whether we now witness a new set of interactions between the forms/
strategies of negotiating uncertainty.

If one extends Partha Chatterjee's argument that modernity and democracy
have often been in conflict in most of the world, one may suggest that
welfare for most parts of the world was indeed about maintaining
uncertainties and yet providing for welfare goods - say electricity to
illegal settlements. It is this political arrangement that is now in
question, ironically through the search for greater certainty and
formalisation (from the left and the right).

Dipu