[Reader-list] [Forward: on the Vijaywada Railway Station by Meera Pillai

schatte2 at ncsu.edu schatte2 at ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 16 20:11:37 IST 2005

Hi Meera,

Since you came across children's geographies, there is one more
web-journal that you should check out--Journal of Children, Youth and
Environment. Their articles are free and they are very high quality
peer-reviewed ones. CYE is also digitizing all the back issues of the
seminal (but discontinued) journal called "Children's Environments".

My own research on children's environments overlaps considerably with
issues commonly tackled in geographies of childhood and youth. One
intersting point to note  is that there is a difference between
"children's geographies" and "geography of children". According to Aitken
(1994) children's geographies involves "children's exploration of self in
adult controlled environments" while the geography of children has to do
with "the spatial
variables and factors which affect the well-being of children".

Will be interested in hearing more from you.

Sudeshna