[Reader-list] CNG conversion; the story so far

mahesh sarma maheshsarma at rediffmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:27:47 IST 2005

CNG: the case so far

For the last five weeks I’ve been assembling from different sources, the whole process of CNG conversion in Delhi. The story evolves something like this.

July 1985: Advocate M.C Metha files a petition against Union of India. This petition also has Shriram Foods as another respondent, which has mysteriously disappeared and later mentions. I am yet to lay my hands on details of this petition, and I presume it has changed character overtime. It deals with industrial pollution, then vehicular pollution and so on.

July 1985- July 1996: The case goes on, and the various courts and judgements, keep coming up. And the nature of the case also undergoes change.

Sometime in early 1996: CSE, leading research and advocacy organisation, begins its campaign for clean air in Delhi. They strongly advocate, the conversion of Delhi transport into CNG. The focus of their campaign is health, and Late. Anil Agarwal, their feisty director, made it his personal mission since he suffered from acute asthma, which he attributed to Delhi’s bad air. The campaign had public hearings, published articles, even a study on CNG.

Sometime in 1996: TERI, another research organisation, started talking about environment and sustainability and said a technology neutral emission policy ( a stylised way of saying no to CNG) . Other civil society actors, like Prof. Dinesh Mohan of IIT, Dhunu roy of Hazards Centre too move in to the public space. We will look at their stances in a later posting.

1986- 1996: Interestingly for the entire 10 years, barring the publishing of emission standards for vehicles, in 1991, and 1996, the state did nothing to address the concerns of the Supreme Court. The court kept referring to CNG as alternative mode of fuel.

Jan 1998: The Supreme Court forms the Environmental Pollution (Prevention and Control) Committee. It is also called   Bhurelal Committee, to advice the court on the reducing vehicular pollution. The committee report (I am trying to read it, quite a boring and voluminous report) most famous reco, is the full conversion all modes of public transport in Delhi to CNG fuel mode. By the way, both Anil Agarwal, the director of CSE, and R.K.Pachuri, the Director of TERI were members of the committee.

July 1998: The Supreme Court gives a composite verdict on reducing air pollution in Delhi, the most important of which is the verdict to convert the entire public transport fleet of Delhi, including cars, autos, and buses into CNG mode by 31st march 2001.

July 1998- Mar 2001: A major media battle brews between the pro CNG lobby, and the pro Diesel lobby. TERI makes feverish noises regarding the undesirability of CNG, and  CSE regarding the supreme desirability, or its inevitability.  The Govt, the private bus operators, live life as usual.

Jan 2001: Every body wakes up to the Mar 31 deadline, frantic attempts to do something, extensions were sought and media made predicted catastrophes awaiting Delhi on April 1st, incidentally All fools day. Nearly 1482 newspaper clippings vouch for the debate.   TV channels have identified a new newsmaker and make hay while the sun shines. More on it later.

Mar 2001: Supreme Court gave partial and conditional extensions. And in Jan 2001, exactly after 16 years of filing of a PIL, state appoints Mashelker Committee to suggest National Auto policy.

Mar 2001: Sep 2002: Too many hiccups. Too many photo opportunities for different actors. Quite a bit of suffering for commuters. We have a Clean Delhi/Green Delhi.

Sep 2002: Delhi has the largest fleet of CNG buses.

Mar 2005: The debate on weather we have cleaner air still continues

In case you find any discrepencies or have anything more to add, do drop a mail.

mahesh

B.Mahesh Sarma,
Researcher
Centre for Studies in Science Policy