[Reader-list] The Story of the Sculptors

Sunil pandey sunilmonika at rediffmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:45:31 IST 2005

The story of the Sculptors

After getting a nitty gritty of Bhagwati Jagaran, I commenced with the people. In the same phase, I came across Sri V.S.Suryavanshi in D-Block, Gokalpuri, Delhi-53.

“
I was student of Delhi College of Engineering, I worked in “Benatone’ for some time. He gets deep in his memories.

Thus I could discover the quenchless flame that was taking jagran towards its dream. V.S.Suryavanshi is now happy and busy in his profession. He learnt a lot from his veteran ustad Sri Ramkishore ji. Here he recognize him with high regards.

Now the tea had come and we are preceded further with nice sips. He shows me his albums and I notice an appeal of innovation in his work. He tells me many things about his field. He files income-tax return every year and manages his profession through his contacts.

During our talks his daughter Shivani reaches home from her school. Suryavanshi ji has named his firm after her name “Shivani Decorators”.

Would you like your children to go, in the same profession’, I ask. ‘No’, the environment is not good. He tells me so many things. As much as I could understand he was talking about some jekyll and hydes. Getting him out of his social duties I take him towards his dreamland. “What are the new things you are working on now a days. ‘Dwadash Shivalingas (Twelve epithets of Lord Shiva) and postures of the Goddess, he tells me.

Now we headed towards his dream-rooms – his ‘godowns’. Some one has said, “Either God has created the man or the man has created the God. I could feel this here. What was not there mountains, trees, rivers, sky, the loin, the Goddess

.macrocosm!

“ I have to devote a lot of time and money here”. He states throughtfully.”Who provides coloring sensation to these creations? Have you managed some painters?” I am enchanted to see this colorful world. I have to do all by myself. “Although I can take the help of the other artist but it doesn’t give me satisfaction”. He answers.

One of the yearly event, he provides his creation, is a jagran in Kavinagar, Ghaziabad the event is organized by Sri Pappu Bhati Ji, a profound devotee. The other areas he takes interest are Sevanagar, Lodi Road, Prabhu market, Madan Giri, Tank Road (Karol Bagh) etc.

Sculptor Suryavanshi has a unique adorption in carving and painting. He is rather artist than a professional. “How many people do you think working on jagran sets like you”? I popped my data enquiry. “There may be approximately 200 people. He tells me there is a number of artists, who come from Orissa and Bengol but they often work for trade fair, republic day models and other Govt. Programmes also. Here he was telling us about contemporary sculptors as far as I know some of them are from fine art colleges also.

The way he manages the size of his sets is called table. He decorates 200 tables in a mega event for this decoration he charges Rs. 5100/- and transportation charges Rs. 3750/-. Yes, he also goes to ‘Nishkam Jagaran’ (Free of charge jagran, upto a certain limit). For such an event only transportation is charged.

Suryavanshi ji has spent eight years in this trade.. people go through the intricate passage.. and the voyage of Bhagwati Jagran goes on
. Godspeed!