[Reader-list] Religion, Elections, Geeta Press and Gorakhpur

Jitendra Srivastava jitendra82003 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 11:37:13 IST 2005

Religion has played a major role in Vidhan Sabha and Lok Sabha elections for the last 15 years in Gorakhpur. A particular political party has been winning the elections. Gorakhnath temple has been a deciding factor in the elections in Gorakhpur. The heads of the temple, Mahant Avaidhnath and Aditynath respectively have been winning the Lok Sabha elections. It needs to be researched whether Geeta Press and its publication Kalyan have a role to play in bringing religion in elections in Gorakhpur. Till now, as a researcher, I find no proof to substantiate this statement. Shri Hanuman Prasad Poddar, founder of Geeta Press was a religious minded person but definitely not a communal personality. He wanted the spread of vedic religion but had no ill-will against any other religion. The same is true of Geeta Press and Kalyan. They have aroused the religion feelings of people and certainly not in a negative way in creating an apathy toward any other religion. There is a great difference
 between arousing religious and communal feelings. Taking Gandhiji as an example, we can say, a person who is religious cannot be communal. He can be tolerant, having respect for others. It is worth praising that inspite of the fact that elections are fought on the basis of religion, still there are no communal feelings. It is have been that we have been celebrating the Gorakhnath Mela, as well as the Bale Meiyan’s Mela. As a researcher, I can say confidently that Gita Press in its publications has not created any ill feelings towards anyone.

Jitendra Srivastava

Independent Fellow, Sarai