[Reader-list] char soh bees

Isaac D W Souweine souweine at hawaii.edu
Mon Mar 28 10:36:43 IST 2005

Aarti:

I can think of two more examples of the "char so bees" phenomenon from
the states. One is the use of the phrase "four twenty" to refer to
marijuana smoking. This tradition is robust enough to include a practice
of smoking at that time of day and even a supposed smoker's holiday on
April 20 i.e. 4/20. Supposedly this usage is tied to the fact that in
some state law code (California?) 420 is the number that refers to
marijuana possesion. Guess it's just coincidence that this is the same
number as in char so bees. Or perhaps it's an especially euphonic
number. The other example is the use of the term "one eight seven" to
refer to murder. I believe 187 is the number code for homicide in
California (or perhaps nationally). Would be cool to know other similar
examples. . .

-Isaac