[Reader-list] Medianagar02: Bibliography

khadeeja at sarai.net khadeeja at sarai.net
Wed Mar 30 15:30:14 IST 2005

Medianagar 02 : Call for Contributions

Medianagar is a Hindi publication of the Publics and Practices in the
History of the Present (PPHP) project in Sarai-CSDS. It presents
research notes and narratives from ongoing PPHP research centred on the
city and media. The attempt is to study media in its rapidly changing
forms, practices and modes of expression in the context of urban life
markets, factories, courts, archives, etc; and to follow the histories
of the cinema, television, internet, newspapers and other media forms
and technologies and technological experiences.
The research involves traversing zones of legality and illegality,
passing through markets, cinemas, corporate offices, music companies,
film distribution offices, cable network people, detective agencies, law
courts, police stations, government archives and factories. We meet
shopkeepers, software copiers porn merchants, architects, singers,
accountants, labourers, lawyers, officials, policemen: all of whom
constitute the fraught fabric of the Media City, the intertwining
networks of curtailment and circulation. Medianagar is a form through
which we express our findings, sometimes as raw material and sometimes
as finished texts.
The idea behind bringing out Medianagar in Hindi is to create a kind of
interface with Hindi-speaking people and provide materials to the
researchers who are primarily working in Hindi. It is also a good medium
for the researchers to continue their interaction in the field. The
first edition of Medianagar was published in January 2004. It contained
materials on Film and the City, Perspectives on the Media and City,
Emerging Trends in Cinema, The Transformation of a Resettlement
Colony into a Market, Labor in Media Market, The Contradictions of
CAS, A Brief History of the Cable TV Network in India, Copyright
Culture in Delhi, A Researcher's Experience in the MCD, Registered
Societies, The Archival Image of a City, etc. We received a very good
response from researchers and independent individuals, especially from
the Hindi-speaking areas. Now we are trying to conceptualise the next issue.

Apart from the articles, we are also in the process of puting up a
bibliography on the above mentioned themes in this edition of MediaNagar.
We invite all those who are working on/around the above-mentioned themes to
contribute names/links of books/articles/audio-video sources and other
relevent material.The last date for the contribution is 30th April,2005.
Thanks
Khadeeja