[Reader-list] Death and Bazaar: revisiting the graveyard

marya shakil maryashakil at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 23:04:41 IST 2005

Dear all,

Looking forward to your critical views on our posting.

Three women presenting a sight….reminding of Macbeth’s witches…….no other
women beggar is allowed in their domain…hailing from Bihar, Sakina has been
living there for more than 8 years. Her job profile includes sitting on an
old grave and waiting for a “allah ka banda” to donate her some money. For
her the graveyard is like any other place where she can get some cash.
Although the money is just sufficient for her “chai  paani” but she
continues to live there despite, her family being miles away.
A man of words, Ghulam Rasool regrets why he couldn’t make money in the
industry in which he is. ‘Mere jagah par koi bhi rehta to crore-pati hota’.
He is the self-appointed caretaker cum gravedigger at the Nizamuddin
graveyard which shares a common boundary with the Lodhi road crematorium.

Till 1947, the adjacent crematorium and the main road were a part of the
graveyard, he claims. And the graveyard’s boundary wall is a 10 yr old
phenomena, an MCD doing. He also has grievances against the wakf board.
Despite the matter being subjudice, some of the claimants of the Delhi Wakf
Board went ahead pasting names on the disputed wall. And Rasool feels such
irresponsible and other behaviour on part of the Wakf board is ruining the
place.

The legacy of maintenance of the graveyard was handed over to him by his
father.
A politically cautious man, he fails to quell our enquiries into his
officiating capacity. How does he issue a death certificate, without any
government authorization?

Here we would like to add that the government man, whom, we had met on our
first visit and about whom we had talked in our first posting, was missing
and Rasool refused to talk about him.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
He lives with his family which includes a wife and seven children among the
dead in a fairly well constructed house within the boundary of the
graveyard. Predicament of his life heightens when he mentions that the
meaninglessness attached to his profession puts him at a somewhat least
bargaining position in the social hierarchy. Because of which he has failed
to marry his daughters as he is a “kabar khodwa”
The grave digging and making of a box like structure costs somewhere between
Rs 3000 and 3500.But a sympathetic treatment can be won by someone who
“cannot afford”. There are 2 people who work under him and look after the
graves. They dig graves and cut grasses that grow over them, a paltry sum of
Rs 150-200 per grave, depending on the ‘haisiyat’….

A project of path construction is in the pipeline as some “benevolent”
Turkish group who had come to visit their loved one in the graveyard found
it inconvenient to move on the somewhat non-existing path.

Their livelihood depends on the generosity of the VISITORS OF THE DEAD.

The burning of the dead in the ‘modern fashion’, (the Japanese sponsored
electric crematorium) leaves occupants on the other side choked, adding to
the politics of the space.

The trespassing of the fumes across the shared boundary.

thanx