Fwd: [Reader-list] Marathi natyasangit

Veena Naregal veena.naregal at gmail.com
Fri May 6 09:50:10 IST 2005

Dear Urmila,

Its great  to  read of your  finds...I am very  interested  because I
have a  project  going  on the lavani and tamasha [apart from my sarai
project  which, alas,  is supposed  to be on film distribution]  I was
  very struck by what you said  about the  undeclared  sources  of
base  tunes... I wondered if your  sources  speak of any names  of
musicians/performers/artistes or  lyrics or  tunes  that can help
track the early  traffic between the 'high'/respectable arena of the
natyasangit  and  the low, supposedly obscene realm of  the lavani
and  tamasha.

Much of  my own work  so far on the lavani  project has been
ethnographic in nature, though I  do want  to delve into  archival
sources too. I have  been amazed  at the wealth of  information to be
gleaned  through oral testimonies and  interviews. For the most part,
this  record  remains quite  consistent  and, more  importantly, seems
 totally unavailable through  other  means. Sometime soon I did  want
to look at   the  journal,  Rangbhumi,  which took up the task of
specifying  what the  norms and content for a respectable Marathi
theatre that was to be  simultaneosuly  traditional and modern would
look like...  I cannot help but wonder if  the eroticism of the lavani
form  [whose  uniqueness and
worth, somewhat  surprisingly, is celebrated  and acknowledged  by
elite Marathi literary  scholars such as Y. N. Kelkar and D.V. Potdar
in the 1950s]  had anything to  do with the respectability that the
baiji  thumri  seems  to  acquire...very ironical because  was  not
the  thumri actually equally reminiscent of  a   'decadent past'
through its  association with  courtesan culture? But  because  it
had  already  lent itself   to appropriation  into the emerging
middle-class/classical aesthetic, the Hindustani  thumri
 seemed more  acceptable  than the  Marathi lavani, which as we know
also  came with an uncomfortable  caste  pedigree.... You probably
know  Peter Manuel's article  on the  Evolution of  Modern Thumri,
where he tracks  the rise  of  the  Banarasi bol banao thumri and the
gradual eclipse  of the  bandish thumri of  lucknow? Is the baiji
thumri  a
kin of the former  variety ...not  being  musically trained  myself, I
hope  you  will forgive  my ignorance...

What you say of  the revival of interest in  Marathi natysangit  is
very interesting... do you trace  it to the  growing  cultural market
for regional  forms, thanks to  regional language  satellite TV
channels  and/or  current  trends in  middle class  taste,  eager to
shrug off  even the shadowy former  connections  with the  tamasha [
as against the  significant  increase in patronage for  the  sangeet
bari in recent  years]. Definitely true, it  woud seem, at  least, of
cities  such as  Bombay and Pune?

Looking forward to your reply,

Veena