[Reader-list] responses to DASTANGOI PERFORMANCE-IIC 4TH MAY

Punam Zutshi pz at vsnl.net
Sat May 7 02:08:31 IST 2005

Thanks Mahmood and Anand Vivek for the illuminating exchange.

I kept thinking about special effects and  the "cinematic" style of films
about magic and religion, as I watched the performance.

But what's this about "an imperialist, hegemonic reaction" , Mahmood? Being
susceptible to the beauty of Urdu qualifies as such ?? Do clarify.

Prof S.R. Faruqui mentioned tales in Bosnia ( was it?)  that seemed to
recount  histories of wars.The Dastans you drew upon were both very oral and
very writerly, and fantastical.Of course there are the 46 volumes found in
no one library to reckon with but have there been Dastans/ narratives about
'historical' events.

Some day, you may consider contacting Dr.Roma Chatterjee of the Dept of
Sociology, DSE  who has extensively read and written on the analysis of
narratives. Her thesis on Purulia and its oral traditions may be of
interest.(Purulia is also home to one type of the Chhau dance)

(A propos the 'historical' I specifically recall from Dr.Chatterjee's
fieldwork a song that was composed about the Damodar Valley Corporation's
entry into the scene...But all this is not meant to take you too far afield)

You may certainly believe that what you did was effortless but perhaps all
your life you have prepared for this,absorbing the language and the world
that the dastan belongs to... that's a lot, isn't it ?

In deciding to adopt or create a certain style...what forms of
conversation/speech went into the making of this performance?

Some of the Farsi/Urdu usage certainly did elude me, but when I think of it,
I would rather that a small preface/ longish sub title as in pre 20th
century style of  titles  for the uninititated be added.( Example " In which
the hero ....undergoes..../journeys ... et al )  Recently, I watched an
Opera performance in Delhi which had the English translation of the Italian
scrolling down on large screens on either side of the huge stage. I think it
a huge achievement that what you accomplished was to include the audience in
its variety without any such intervention.

The text certainly provides the base for the performance but it was the act
of storytelling that Himanshu and you undertook that conveyed a  'nafasat'
combined with directness, the horrific/fantastical juxtaposed with the
scatological, a vitality that was palpable... The bareness of the stage was
wonderful, a wonderful foil to the emroideries and ornaments of speech,
never taking away from the hold of the storytelling.

Punam