[Reader-list] IPTA - Emerging Aspects 2

mahmood farooqui mahmoodfarooqui at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 13:08:24 IST 2005

What you have to say of IPTA's music and lyrics of the
40s and 50s is borne out by Habib Tanvir, the theatre
director. He was in Bombay in the late 40s and early
50s and he says that what he imbibed of the music and
songs there has had an indelible impact on his
theatre. As you know songs and dances play an
extremely important role in Tanvir's theatre. Even
where he has handled very modern plays like Jis Lahore
Nahin Dekhya, he has incorporated suitable music to
enhance its appeal and has manifestly, succeeded
brilliantly.

He told me and has also repeatedly stated elsewhere
that people like Dina Pathak proved a great influence
on him in this way of approaching music. In addition
to the fact that the forum provided a creative melange
of several different traditions of music. This was
probably also the only independent site for these
diverse traditions to come together in the service of
a popular music of protest.

Cheers,

--- Sumangala Damodaran <sumangaladamodaran at yahoo.com>