[Reader-list] clarification

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 19:41:18 IST 2005

Dear Sameer
Are you sure of this information - is there a
confirmed source for it. So far the local people
believe that there was a British officer by the name
of Mr.Butler who was posted here during the
construction of the Okhla barrage - in fact he was
posted to this peaceful location for health reasons.
The original bungalow still exists near the barrage -
now owned by the UP irrigation department.

Yousuf

--- Sameer Ahmed <sameeronweb at hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------

Hello

I read somewhere in the sarai.net website that Batla
House was named after an English general, I

would like to clarify this, Batla House was named
after Mohammad Ahmad Batla Sahab, a wealthy

landlord in the days of the Raj, The entire land
(whcih presently comprises the whole of the batla

house area and gufoor nagar) belonged to him. He gave
it all for a social cause to the University

of Jamia Millia Islamia under the supervision of Dr.
Mushtaq Ahmed and went off to the USA for good .

 After a couple of years when Dr. Ahmed too left , as
he joined the UN, this vast piece of land

was illegally occupied by local patwaris and the likes
, subsequently the area went down the

drain.
<https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>