[Reader-list] [annoucement] New stories at SIGNATURE - May 13, 2005

sam sam at media.com.au
Fri May 13 10:22:12 IST 2005

(  please forward to your networks)

May 13 2005
--------------

*// SIGNATURE - New stories from Australia ...
http://spinach7.com/signature/*

*No Black Faces on the Block? *
The Carr Government's plans for the rundown suburb of Redfern are yet to
be revealed, but anyone taking a white brush to the black heart of
Sydney is surely in for a fight. MARNI CORDELL reports on the battle for
Redfern-Waterloo.
http://spinach7.com/signature/sig-stories.php?id=408

*Viet Nam Lost and Found*
Thirty years have passed since the Viet Nam War ended on 30 April, 1975.
In the final days of the conflict approximately 250 Vietnamese children
were flown to Australia as part of 'Operation Babylift'. As the adoptees
reach maturity, many are struggling to make sense of their past writes
INDIGO WILLING.
http://spinach7.com/signature/sig-stories.php?id=387

*Interrogation Techniques: Making Art about Fear*
Throughout April and May, Perth-based new media collective pvi toured
Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide with their eagerly anticipated new work,
tts. Three years in development tts - formerly terror(ist) training
school - attracted plenty of controversy in the making of. The finished
work deals with the complex and sensitive issue of terrorism. JANE
LITCHFIELD submits to a 'routine' security scan, takes her recruitment
oath, and climbs aboard.
http://spinach7.com/signature/sig-stories.php?id=399

*Photo Feature: Trolleys*
by Thuy Vy
http://spinach7.com/signature/sig-stories.php?id=392

*// Announcements*

*MO:LIFE - Join the Mobile Culture eNewsletter *
mo:life maps and explores how we, as a distinct culture, will produce,
adapt, consume, buy, sell, accept, and reject new forms and uses of
floating communication. As such, mo:life sets mobile media in an
Australian context. Our geography, enterprises, and culture lend well to
a mobile way of life - a mo:life.
For more: http://s7digital.com/molife/

***Vital Signs Conference - Call for Submissions (RMIT, Melbourne)*
Vital Signs is the next event in a series of annual conferences
presented by RMIT University, School of Creative Media.  This year's
conference will focus on the urgent issues for New Media artists
relating to both our future and our past. We are interested in bringing
together the key players of new media art to discover - collectively -
new ways forward. We are interested in reading the Vital Signs.
For more: http://www.rmit.edu.au/creativemedia/conference

*Free Play - Independent Game Developers Conference*
Free Play will cater for independent and DIY game developers, game
modders and mappers, creatively frustrated professionals, game
development students and digital artists from every state in Australia.
Its aim is to bring together these communities in a forum that is
financially reasonable, with a programme developed by the communities
themselves.
For more: http://www.free-play.org/