[Reader-list] Thinking Freedom

shivam shivamvij at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:17:16 IST 2005

Dear Zainab,

An inspiring and fascinating posting as ever. About hawkers, I vaguely
remember hearing once that the supreme court had passed a judgement
saying that hawkers had every right to practice their trade on the
street, as they had been doing for centuries in India.

I went to Connaught Place yesterday and one of the things that
distinguishes this erstwhile centre of consumerism in Delhi from the
new centre - South Delhi - is the presence of hawkers. The problem
with the presence of such hawkers sometimes is that they can pester
you even if you don't want to buy what they are selling; secondly,
they quote high rates and expect you to bargain. Hawkers do put off
foreign tourists, and so in Agra they're having a tough time at the
hands of the police.

But the greatest reason why hawkers are troubled by the municipality
officials or the police is because of 'hafta' or bribe. I don't know
if this is true for Mumbai's beaches but this is what I saw in
Lucknow.

About beggars, I suppose begging is looked down upon because it is not
considered 'work'. The money a beggar earns is 'free money', as bad as
black money, because you haven't 'earned it'. Beggars can overcome
this limitation and gain legitimacy if they are disabled - or pretend
to be so. Similarly, children are pushed into begging - by syndicates
who kidnap such children or by parents/ step-parents - as poor (or
poor-looking children) can evoke sympathy in the restaurant-going
class more easily than adults who look completely fit.

So in the case of children, the ideas of freedom need to be
investigated at two levels: not just vis-a-vis the state, but also in
the context of their personal freedom vis-a-vis the authority who
forces them to beg.

Just as paedophilia is considered a crime because the child is not
considered to be mature enough to understand what's going on, children
who beg in urban India's streets, temples and bazaars and not exactly
'free'.

Just my 50 paisa.

Cheers
Shivam