[Reader-list] [Announcements] Bare Acts Picnic

Aarti aarti at sarai.net
Wed Nov 2 15:45:15 IST 2005

=================================
Sarai Reader 05: Bare Acts Picnic
=================================

Lodhi Gardens, Delhi
3:30 pm, Saturday, 5 November 2005

 From this November onwards we are trying to intiate a monthly informal
discussion around particular texts from Sarai Reader 05: Bare Acts. The
idea is to get different people to respond to texts from their
particular locations and perspectives, and share this with a group of
interested interlocuters. Each month we will consider a different set of
texts grouped around a broad theme.

The first picnic will be held on the 5th of November at 4:00 pm in Lodhi
gardens. It will be an informal gathering and the texts are grouped
around the theme of gender and sexuality. We will meet at the gate
outside the India International Centre. You can also ask for directions
and so on by calling Aarti at 9810105158. Do bring along tea/coffee and
fruit to help the conversation along !

Shuddhabrata Sengupta, Aarti Sethi, Gautam Bhan, Monica Mody and
Sunalini Kumar will discuss the following texts from the reader which
attempt to explore the fraught relationship between the law and realms
of intimacy, sexual labour, pornography, movements for the assertion of
sexual rights.

The texts can be downloaded in pdf format at:

Negotiating Territory: Ateya Khorakiwala, discussant Gautam Bhan
http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/07/04_ateya.pdf

Womanhood Laid Bare: Alice Albinia, discussant Sunalini Kumar
http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/10/01_alice.pdf

Representing a Woman's Story: Hirakari Hori, discussant Monica Mody
http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/10/05_hikari.pdf

Sex Workers Manifesto: Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Samiti, discussant
Shuddhabrata Sengupta
http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/13/03_sex_worker.pdf

Judicial Extract: discussant Aarti Sethi
http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/10/04_cabaret.pdf