[Reader-list] THE AIR AROUND (a sound installation)

rajivan Sa rajivansa at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:29:56 IST 2005

THE AIR AROUND (a sound installation)
RAJIVAN.AYYAPPAN. SOUND ARTIST. INDIA.

This is to invite you all to be a part in the making of my recent sound
installation-- The air around-- as one of the performers/ contributers from
your geographical location.

The air around is a radio/telephonic installation. It's made of an FM
network that receives sounds through telephones—mobile, landline or internet
phones—from around the world and integrates them into a soundscape. The
installation has a central computer with a list of participants and their
phone numbers. It would dial a number, remain open to engage the
participant, hang up after a period of time, start another number and so on.
These interactions would be transmitted to the The air around installation
site.

The location of the installation will be in Bangalore. It is a part of
World-information city conference, organised by Waag Society (Amsterdam),
Institute for New Culture Technologies (Vienna), Sarai CSDS (Delhi), Mahiti
and Alternative Law Forum (Bangalore).

The central theme of The air around is this: Access a whole lot of people
who are in different locations and time zones through the internet and
integrate them, live, into the new context of a synthesized soundscape
installation. Our plan is to have a list where as many people are ready to
take the call.

Therefore I want you to be in The air around's list to recieve a call from
the installation. What I would like to have from you is a 30 sec to 3 or 4
minutes of sound event that are voiced, played back or performed online by
you. There are no rules for what you must do. Strictly no rules. You can
just pick up the phone, identify your number or name and behave as if you
have a microphone in hand. Your interaction with the call will be one of the
sound events in the installation. It will be transmitted at the air around
site.

The air around installation will be active for 3 days, 3:00pm to 6:00pm
(India. Standard time zone: UTC/GMT +5:30 hours) starting 14th November and
ending on 16th November 2005.

If you are keen tell us the dates & times when it would be possible to call
you. The call will be made from the installation, to your land line or
mobile. You will not be charged with any phone call rates. It will be paid
by the the air around project.

Please mail me for clarifications and planning.I could send you more details
regarding the procedure.

Love to hear from you.

Rajivan.Ayyappan
please follow the URL for more information about the event.
WORLD INFORMATION EXHIBITION
http://world-information.org