[Reader-list] [Announcements] Talk by Nina Montmann on New Institutionalism

Dean School of Arts and Aesthetics aesthete at mail.jnu.ac.in
Thu Nov 10 14:26:28 IST 2005

Lecture on New Institutionalism by Nina Montmann critic and author
Curator Nordic Institute of Contemporary Art, Helsink (NIFCA)

VENUE: SCHOOL OF ARTS AND AESTHETICS GALLERY
DATE 14TH NOVEMBER 2005
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU UNIVERSITY, NEW DELHI 110067
All are cordially invited

New Institutionalism
“Neo-Capitalism and the declining Western Welfare State are causing major changes in the role of the art institution. A director of a museum is supposed to act as a populist politician as well as a manager. For most sponsors and politicians the visitor’s count is the only measurement for the success of an institution. Therefore art institutions are becoming a part of the event and entertainment industry. In this scenario some smaller or mid –sized and more flexible institutions tried to analyze this situation and develop alternative strategies.
In my paper I will present the approach of a few institutions (such as the Rooseum in Malmo with Charles Esche as director, the Kunstverein in Munich with Maria Lind, The EA-Generali Foundation in Vienna), as well as two research based exhibition projects I curated, which are dealing with a variety of international institutional collaborations, and have a (self-)reflective perspective on institutional processes as their very topic: the relation of artists and institutions, the societal role of institutions and the role of institutions for artistic productions.”
Nina Montmann