[Reader-list] Hindi fiction writing in Delhi

Rana Dasgupta eye at ranadasgupta.com
Sun Nov 20 14:19:41 IST 2005

Perhaps some of you saw this in the Guardian this week...

Writer, publisher and tea-seller caters to a readership thirsting for Hindi

Literary and media audiences are increasingly choosing their native
tongue over English

Randeep Ramesh in New Delhi
Wednesday November 16, 2005
The Guardian

For two decades, evening commuters have come to sip coppery brown tea at
Laxman Rao's roadside stall on a busy South Delhi main road, to the
sound of the blaring horns of passing traffic. But in recent years,
customers come not for sugary chai but for a taste of Rao's bittersweet
words.

Rao is the author of 18 novels, plays and political essays in Hindi,
India's national language which is thought to vie with Spanish to be the
world's third most-spoken mother tongue. Like most Hindi novelists he
considers writing stories a calling, one he supports with the 4,000
rupees (£50) a month he makes from selling tea. "For 20 years I have
made no money from my books."

But Rao's luck appears to be changing. His novel Ramdas, about a wayward
village boy who mends his ways only to drown suddenly, earned him 10
times as much money as he made from selling tea. He has handed over the
running of his stall to his eldest son while he cycles around Delhi's
libraries hawking his work. "I am the writer, the publisher, the
salesman now," says Rao, 51. "There is a change coming even if I am too
old to enjoy it."

In the last few years English, which bound together a nation of 800
tongues and dialects and connected India to the outside world, has faced
a challenge from native languages. As literacy levels rise in India,
there is a palpable shift to a more subcontinental lingua franca and
Hindi's reach is lengthening. Although it is spoken by half of India's 1
billion people, its writing is absent in the literary canon of India,
which is dominated by exiles such as Salman Rushdie and Vikram Seth. "I
do not read these books. They do not talk about the India I know," says
Rao. "The stories do not mean anything to me or people like me. India
lives in villages, small towns, on streets. The authors do not."

Factual information, as well as fiction is increasingly sold in Hindi.
The biggest-selling newspapers in the country are no longer
English-language broadsheets but those printed in Hindi. Nearly 70% of
all news broadcasts are transmitted in Hindi, less than a decade after
Rupert Murdoch presciently chose the language for his Indian TV network.

Publishing houses now hope to mirror that success. Penguin India, one of
the country's largest English-language publishers, this year began
printing novels in Hindi. In six months it has put out 15 such books, of
which four are original titles. Ravi Singh, publisher of Penguin India,
says that margins are lower but the market in India is much bigger.
"It's in hundreds of millions of potential readers and we have watched
advertising trends slope upwards, so we know people out there are
getting richer."

Mr Singh says there have always been big-selling "Hindi classics". "Take
Sara Akash, a novel written in the early 20th century about small-town
India. It has sold 120,000 copies," he says. "But there has been a more
recent change which is a confidence about using Hindi, about not being
embarrassed about using it rather than English. People are hungry for
Hindi."

The deference to English has long been part of India's cultural make-up.
The language is perceived to bestow intelligence and sophistication on a
speaker, but remains the preserve of an elite whose opinions often seem
far removed from the concerns of ordinary Indians. The language debate
is ignited periodically in the literary world. In 1997 Rushdie, who was
born in Mumbai, declared that Indian writing in English was "proving to
be a stronger and more important body of work" than writing in
home-grown languages.

"It was typical from someone who does not read and write Hindi," said
Harish Trivedi, professor of English at Delhi University. What is
important about Hindi's rise, says Prof Trivedi, is producing stories
that Indians can identify with. "Are you interested in Indian indentured
labour in Africa? Then read Pahla Girmitiya by Giriraj Kishore. If you
want stories of Indian Sikhs in Slough in Enoch Powell's Britain then
read Mahendra Bhalla ... Novelists who are located in places they write
about."

Pavan Verma, the director general of the Indian Council for Cultural
Relations, says he is "condemned by privilege". "People like me are
really cultural orphans. Linguistically I was brought up in the British
system, albeit one based here. So I was completely educated in English
and spoke it while growing up. Although I can read and write Hindi it
comes as a learnt language." Mr Verma yearns for the day "when Hindi
literature has the same popularity as Russian works or Latin American
authors".