[Reader-list] Oct 8: Internet and the culture of openness

Subramanya Sastry sastry at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 4 22:07:33 IST 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:57:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: Subramanya Sastry <sastry at cs.wisc.edu>
To: S Subramanya Sastry <sastry at cs.wisc.edu>,
     T.B.Dinesh <tbdinesh at servelots.com>
Subject: Oct 8: Internet and the culture of openness

                       Invitation to a discussion
                                   on
                 "Internet and the culture of openness"

Date       : Oct 8th, Saturday
Time       : 3:30 pm
Venue      : 3354, K.R.Road, Bangalore
Phone      : 26762963
Directions : http://pantoto.com/p/UpLoad/tmdb/bhairava/f/Directions.gif

You are also welcome to stay on and join another "open-space" event at
the same location (For details, visit http://liveit.in)

The World Social Forum (WSF) first made its appearance on the global scene
in 2001 and it seems that it is here to stay. The WSF means many things to
many people, but, one of the more prominent conceptions of the WSF is as an
'open space' where individuals, organizations, and movements come together,
share, exchange, build bridges, relationships, strategize, etc.

Yet, the idea of an 'open space' is not peculiar to the WSF.  One could
perhaps trace this idea of 'WSF as an open space' to the various trends and
practices of "openness" that are now prevalent on the Internet -- starting
with the open source movement, which in turn has spurred various other
endeavours from open access journals, open maps, open knowledge,
open content, open design, open publishing, open encyclopedias (wikipedia),
open politics, open democracy, and so on.

Clearly, most of these endeavours in "openness" appear rooted in the
potential and promise of the Internet -- the new-found zeal for openness
in most endeavours could be seen as an outcome of what the Internet is.

With this extremely brief background and context, we invite you to
a discussion to take a critical look on the theme "Internet and the culture
of openness", the promise, potential, and practicality of it.

            Theme: Internet and the culture of openness