[Reader-list] [Announcements] Urban Buffet

zainab at xtdnet.nl zainab at xtdnet.nl
Fri Oct 7 11:04:03 IST 2005

Urban Buffet
---
(Flavours of kebabs, delicacies, neighborhoods, imaginations and memories
of spaces in a city)

Spaces in cities are fascinating, contiguous, frightening, terrifying,
strange, awkward, funny and interesting (and a lot more adjectives can be
added). And of course, the interaction between the spaces and the dwellers
which leads to productions of imaginations of spaces!

Urban Buffet is a walk through the Muslim neighbourhoods of South Mumbai
including Nagpada, Dongri, Bhendi Bazaar, Bohri Mohalla, Mohammed Ali Road
and Haji Ali – an experience of one area of the city by night and dawn.
The walk will be led by Syeed Bijapuri. Syeed Bijapuri is a research
subject who I encountered during my research on railway stations in Mumbai
city. He is a Ticket Checker, a national basketball champion and a
versatile personality of everyday life.

The walk will involve savouring Ramzaan delights including Arabian Kahwa,
Arabian Khapsa, kebabs, sweets and delicacies of Sehri breakfasts. It also
entails walking through and visiting Nagpada Bachoo Khan Basketball Court,
Foras Road and Bachoo ki Waadi, Moghul Masjid and its ancient Hamam and
the interiors of Dongri area, walking through the interiors of Sarvi
Mohalla and experiencing the underworld and criminal city. The rest is a
production of our experiences and imagination

Dates of the Walks: Saturday 15th October

Timing: 10 PM to 1:00 AM – for those of us who wish to continue, we can
stay on till 4 AM which is the timing for commencement of fasts.

Meeting Place: Byculla Railway Station, East Side – ticket counter of
platform number 4

Cost: The cost of eateries will be based on actuals and shared by the
participants. A registration fee of Rs. 75 will be charged.

Only 10 persons will be allowed for the first walk. We may conduct another
walk on Saturday 22nd October. For inquiries and registrations, contact
Zainab Bawa on zainabbawa at yahoo.com

Zainab Bawa
Bombay
www.xanga.com/CityBytes