[Reader-list] Re: Indian blogger gets a (hilarious) legal notice from Arindam Chaudhuri's IIPM

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 06:38:57 IST 2005

Hi All,
I do not think freedom of speech is the issue
here.Gaurav Sabnis has made it clear that he was not
asked to resign.No authority or agency of the
government has tried to censor him. (I am trying not
to judge Gaurav here, but I am not sure if his
resigning was a good decision for anyone.)
IMHO,The issue or the spotlight here is on law
enforcement, if anything. And that issue is general,
not specific to blogging or internet. The people who
indirectly threatened Gaurav and defamed Rashmi should
be brought to book.The only legal issue specific to
blogging is that whether people can be tracked and
made accountable to what they write over the internet
and whether there are legal provisions that adequately
take care of this sort of offence.The threatening
phone calls made to IBM would certainly be cognisable
as a legal offence, I would think.But if IBM,Gaurav or
Rashmi dont seek redress from law then there is little
anyone else can do about it.
regards
Rahul

http://www.desipundit.com/2005/10/08/lies-damned-lies-and-fake-blogs/