[Reader-list] Fellow ex-I-Fellow on ragging

reyhan chaudhuri reyhanchaudhuri at eth.net
Mon Oct 17 13:15:47 IST 2005

Dear Readers,
I'm a teacher and Medical Officer,for a considerable part of the day.Every
year ,during the new Session we face this problem, as do most other teachers
in this country.
It has always baffled me on 4 points-
1) Whenever you discuss this with other senior students and even
sometimes(alas!)'colleagues',at a personal level.We are often met with a
'chuckle' and playful rejoinder " C'mon.Don't be a 'stick-in-the -mud' or
'wet blanket.' ...As long as things do not go 'extreme',let them have a
little fun...
(NB: I always however dread that if sanctioned openly,there is no barometer
to measure,when was it it 'playful ribbing' and when it became  offensive or
torturous'.)

2) How - when any Senior Student is questioned,her defence is  that ,"We
were just 'getting to know' them,Ma'am? We didn't know they would
over-react."
Our answer is generally ,'Do you know 'everyone' in your class"?Does
everyone in your class and even your own family,want to interact unwarranted
with you, on a one-way basis sans 'personal space'  ?
I however hope to use this dialogue / line of thought ,next time.(It may be
more immediate and 'hit home'...)
>>No one can say any longer that
'domestic violence' or the psychological humiliation of a new bride is one
way for a husband, the in-laws and the new bried to 'get to know' each
other.