[Reader-list] On "what ails reader-list"

punam zutshi punam.zutshi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:45:14 IST 2005

Subramanya aka Subbu (and Kiran) ,

Thanks so much for intervening, I was beginning to worry whether my
perceptions about Kiran's charge about the collapse of this list were
skewed and unique! I do wish that others who hold views similar to
Kiran's would join the discussion.

Oddly enough, I had not registered the fact that a digest could be
subscribed to, that is certainly an important point in terms of
choices. And yes if e mail stopped being the mode of communication for
this list, I would also opt out.

I think Nitoo Das did refer in her e mail of Aug 27 addressed to Kiran
to the threefold stated purposes of the reader list.She writes:

" It is meant, as you pointed out, for "Announcements, Independent
Fellows' postings, General Discussions, and responses to all these."
These discussions are usually of the non-frivolous variety and, more
often than not, we see a consistent engagement with, what can only be
termed as, 'intellectual' issues."

As I was not present at the Sarai presentations, I can only refer to
Kiran's postings on the list.I feel Kiran has yet to make the case
about the collapse of the list or even all the 'problems' with it .I
was alluding to this in my last mail with that wisecrack about
classified information.

Does anyone remember my desperate pleas about better archiving/search
facilities, or should those be addressed to Other Quarters?

Punam