[Reader-list] Fw: CPI(M)

Tapas Ray tray at cal2.vsnl.net.in
Fri Sep 9 20:34:26 IST 2005

As one who lives in West Bengal, I largely share Ramaswamy's sentiments. It
is the practice that finally counts, and by that measure the CPI-M is worse
than a failure - it's a disaster that has broken the spine of large sections
of the state's people through its unique techniques of power that Ramaswamy
describes. Even if "the Party" (as it is ominously called here in West
Bengal) loses power, which is unlikely in the near future, or turns honest
and democratic one fine morning, which is even less likely - not the least
because, as a Leninist party it believes in clinging to power at any cost -
it will take many decades for the people of West Bengal to repair the
psychological and cultural damage they have suffered and are suffering as we
speak.

However, I would like to differ with Ramaswamy on one minor point - the
banning of rickshaws may have less to do with parochialism than with "the
Party's" desperate attempt at giving Calcutta a facelift, without which it
may have to forgo the substantial foreign development funds that seem to be
within its reach, and without which it also is likely to lose large chunks
of middle-class vote sooner or later. (Assembly polls are due next year.)
"Scientific" and not-so-scientific rigging, of which it has been
consistently accused by the opposition, may not see it through forever. It
has to be remembered that, in spite of its (in)famously efficient "election
machinery", the CPI-M and its partners have never won a really large victory
over their opponents in terms of percentage of votes polled, and a moderate
swing can upset the party cadres' gravy train. If they have still ruled
without a break since 1977, they have India's first-past-the-post electoral
system to thank. Since their margin of victory in terms of percentage of the
vote has not been large, they would have fared much worse in a proportional
representation system.

Tapas