[Reader-list] Jeevika: South Asia Livelihood Documentary Competition

neetu sharma shnitu at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 13:46:14 IST 2005

 I am writing on behalf of Center For Civil Society based in Delhi, India. We, (www.ccsindia.org)  are an independent , non-profit, research and educational think tank   based in Delhi working primarily on the issue of livelihood, education, poverty etc. Through research, outreach, and advocacy, we promote economic, social, and cultural freedom of the people of India.

We organise an annual Jeevika:  South Asia Livelihood Documentary Competition.  Its aim is to make the issue of livelihood an active part of public debate. As there exist tremendous similarity in terms of problems and issues between all South Asian countries and Jeevika will help in not just knowing more about the common problems but also sustainable solutions.  Jeevika began in 2003 and has attracted films from students and professional filmmakers

This year we are organising first south asain  level documentary Competition focussing on livelihood--an issue that affects us all

To spread the information about this unique opportunity we would like to contact film institutes, filmmakers and development organisations in Pakistan .We would appreciate your support in providing us the contacts of such organisations , film makers and students  who will help us taking this information to larger audiences.

The Last Date for submission of entries is DECEMBER 1, 2005.

ü       The Prizes are: First (Rs 45,000); Second (Rs 30,000); Third (Rs 20,000).  There is a special Best Student Film prize for Rs 10,000.

ü       Financial support will be provided for the next film venture on a related issue.

ü       Several selected documentaries will be screened during January 20-22, 2006.

ü       CCS will purchase extra copies of winning films and disseminate them to various educational institutions all over India

Young filmmakers are particularly encouraged to participate.

·         Please pass on this information to your students and faculty.  Jeevika is open to all.

·         We would like you to nominate one student (masters or alumni, no more than three years old) to be part of the Screening Committee Please send, along with the resume, a 250-word statement supporting your selection by September 30, 2005 to Manali Shah, Program Coordinator at the address given above.  There will be a two-tier evaluation process.  The Screening Committee will select about 15 entries, which will be judged for the prizes by the Jury.  For blind review, the identity of the Jury and Screening Committee members will not be revealed until the prize ceremony.

Jeevika 2004: A Glimpse

·         We received 69 entries from students, amateur as well as professional filmmakers from all over India.

·         The Jeevika Jury included Renana Jhabvala (SEWA, Ahmedabad), Partho Sarkar (Filmmaker), L Tochhawng (India International Centre, Delhi), Paromita Shastri (Outlook, Delhi), and Amir Ullah Khan (India Development Foundation).  The Screening Committee comprised alumni of National Institute of Design, MCRC Jamia and St Xaviers College, Kolkata.

·         The top three winners were Aftershocks (Rakesh Sharma); 3.2.1.0..Who Can Change Me? (Biju KC) and Pedal Soldier of India (Raza Haider & Kaukab). The Best Student Film was Zarina, made by Suhail Bukhari & Piyush Pushpak of Rai University.

You may contact me at nidhi at ccsindia.org.

In Liberty-

Nidhi Chadha
Program Coordinator