[Reader-list] Re: [Urbanstudy] Field Notes from Marine Drive

solomon benjamin sollybenj at yahoo.co.in
Sat Sep 17 21:50:41 IST 2005

..whether centralized systems are
homogenizing? Is control about homogenization?....

....nowadays, the guards are able to wield more
authority and take actions as if they were law
enforcers and policemen themselves.....

Bombay was once the enterprising city – a city where
no one went hungry because there was business for
everyone to do. Gradually, new government regimes are
taking away conditions of freedom. Everyone is being
pushed into jobs. Freedom of enterprise is freedom of
the individual. Gradually, this enterprising city is
turning into a service economy.....

Hi,
I think Zainab'd posting and in particular the three
excerpts show us a way to think about power, economy
and locality. These seem to be central elements in the
way we 'read' cities -- what they do to people in the
opening up of complex social space, but also in ways
in which these very mechanisms are shaped. I was
reminded of a recent statement by hawkers being asked
about the impact of urban renewal in central
bangalore: To the local police constrable, they did
have problems but that was nothing as compared to the
higher up police circuits and the BATF! For the
curropt local constrable, he was seen as being part of
local trading network and interestingly the squatters
used the term: "Bribe as a Right". Thus, once they had
paid a bribe, through waht is a sophisticated system,
they are assured a location and in a sense, a 'right'
over it. what turned out to be really problematic for
them, was the 'clean and neat' and 'un-curroptable'
police commissioner circuit. Obviously curroptable at
a higher level, this group with the BATF would plan
out road extensions, and also 'clean out' the hawkers.

The point here being that centralized and
non-centralized is about control, as Zainab usefully
points out, but also about 'entry and influence'.

What interests me however, is the way cities also
allow sort of 'hydras' to erode a system of
centralization. One can call this 'bleeding' as Sarai
does, as erosion, enchroachments, or subversion. I am
not saying that there are no human costs involved. The
point here is if the urban experience is a
transformative one both ways?,
Cheers
Solly