[Reader-list] Urdu as a sick language-any rebuttals?

shashidhar sabnavis iwasthere2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 14:12:50 IST 2005

In agreement with Mahmood Farooqui,

I work with more than 20 Udu language schools in the
city of Pune; In most of the cases more than two
schools are run from the same campus on the same day,
usually one of the schools is a Marathi Medium school
and the other a minority language school such as Urdu,
Tamil, Kanada etc.

In all of these Marathi schools there is not even one
single hindu enrolled, amongst the siblings the girls
are usually sent to the urdu school and the boys to
the Marathi Medium school. Children are not introduced
to any language other than Urdu until the time they
are in Class 4 and the best part, there are more than
40 school imparting education in Urdu at the primary
level but there are only 5 Secondary schools in the
entire city of Pune.

Like many other languages Urdu is also on the wane,
none of the teachers who teach Urdu speak Urdu at
home, they claim to but when it comes to simple tasks
like composing the question papers, they fall short
miserably. I have had a lot of trouble getting
translations for a simple puppet show on sanitation,
it took us a life time to find equivalent words for
exam, toilet, brusing your teeth. The entire excersice
cased us a lot of misery.

In my opinion language of instruction, be it in
schools, be it in filling up railway forms should be
kept the same and uniform through out and the
champions of the society whose sole purpose in life is
to ensure the survival of self styled religions and
languages should be left to guard them.

Imagine the life a student in class seven who cannot
read the numbers on the busses, understand directions
on a carton of detergent because his father forces him
to attend a school in Urdu and the state is ruled by a
proxy who ensures that even medical shop and hospital
are written in Marathi.

Regards,

Shashi