[Reader-list] holi @ mathurs

abhinandita mathur abhinanditamathur at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 02:21:37 IST 2006

Hi,

We have set up a blog for our project "My Building and the Shahar"
and uploaded pictures and notes from the Holi celebrations at the
Mathur building, amongst other things.
Holi is a major affair in the cultural event's calendar at the Mathur Building.
Not as glorious as it use to be till some years ago, nevertheless it
was totally fabulous. Dinner and cultural programme were organised by
the Society Managing Committee on the eve to revive the festivities.
According to an organiser, Mr Mathur, (!) "Things have changed a lot
and for the worse in the last few years. People are too busy with
their jobs and families. Initially, everyone looked forward to
participating and celebrating all festivals together utilizing the
common space in the building premises, but now people tend to
celebrate with their families and not participate in the society
activities. The whole point and essence of community living is lost!
It is for this reason that we decided to organise a free dinner on the
eve of Holi. And to our surprise all enthusiasts from the past and
other unexpected members turned up. We wish to restore the charm of
such festivities and hope to rejuvenate the essence of community
living"

Here is the link: www.mathurbuilding.blogspot.com

Our friend Nalin Mathur from the building has contributed another
article titled "different kinds of Mathurs" that makes a fun read.

We are now in the process of setting up a website to be able to upload
audio and video format files.

In the meantime here is a popular Holi time recipe!

Kaleji and Gurde Kapure:

INGREDIENTS:
1 kg kalegi/gurde kapoore
3 large onions (chopped finely & fried golden brown)
3 large tomato (either grinded in mixi/puree)
3 -4 large spoons of cooking oil
1 1/2 large garlic bulb [paste]
1 piece of ginger [ paste]
½ tsp turmeric powder
¾ tsp red chilli powdersalt to taste
2 tsp Kasturi Methi1½ tsp coriander powder
7 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
8-10 black pepper seeds
3-4 illachi large and small

METHOD
Wash Kalegi well and keep it in a deep pan for 1/2 hour after adding salt.
Put oil in a Pressure cooker add fried onion, garlic and ginger paste,
tomato paste/ puree, coriander powder, salt, chilli powder, kasturi
methi,turmeric powder and fry well on slow fire till oil gets
separated
Meanwhile wash it again.
Then add kalegi pieces in the gravy and add crushed cloves and black
pepper, Cardamom.Cook on slow fire
Cook on slow fire. Keep the utensil lid lightly covered. Cook on slow
fire till the water dries.
Then add little water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Switch
off the gas after three whistles. When it is cooked dry the water
after opening the lid.

Thanks,

abhinandita and venu

www.abhinandita.blogspot.com