[Reader-list] Nangla's Delhi - 06 April 2006

CM@Nangla nangla at cm.sarai.net
Fri Apr 7 09:25:40 IST 2006

New postings at Nangla's Delhi blog
(http://nangla.freeflux.net)

When One Map Breaks,
by Love Anand

A big weighing scale hangs in the middle of the basti. A man stands by it,
two sacks hanging from his bicycle. He is holding another medium sized
weighing balance in his hands. He is weighing some iron pipes on it. Some
men and young children are standing around him. The weight on one side of
the balance reads, “5 kg”. Then he pulls out some ten rupee notes from
his pocket, and counting them, he hands them to one of the men. This done,
he moves through the lane towards the outside.

(Read whole post)

"What is the city, but a passage from in front of us?"
by Lakhmi

[I]

"What is the city, but a passage from in front of us?

"When people passed from the road they would say, 'It is so smelly here.
People sit naked on the road, and shit on the footpath'. They would file
complaints... there has been so much investigation into how we live, so
much said about how we ought to live. They have broken this place down, the
first chance they got..."

(Read whole post)

CM Lab, Nangla Maanchi

http://nangla.freeflux.net
http://nangla-maachi.freeflux.net

It quenches the thirst of the thirsty,
Such is Nangla,
It shelters those who come to the city of Delhi,
Such is Nangla.