[Reader-list] Nangla in the High Court

Aniruddha Shankar karim at sarai.net
Fri Apr 7 14:18:51 IST 2006

The honourable justice Vijender Jain passed certain orders specifically
concerning Nangla on the 5th of April, in the High Court.

Some houses have identity cards and other documents predating 1998 and in some
cases 1994. The details were not dwelt upon, but it seemed that the MCD had made
some intimation or report to the effect that these people would be relocated.

Justice Jain said that in the absence of any official relocation to Nangla or
any title deeds or similar documentaton, "these people are illegal encroachers",
and ALL houses standing in NanglaMachi were to be razed completely. He said that
this "removal" was to happen regardless of whether relocation of the affected
families that had documentation took place. This was a clear and deliberate
delinking: When "illegal encroachers" encroach upon land, their removal would
NOT be delayed until they were relocated.

So Jain, J. has not taken up the matter of whether some people are deserving of
relocation and whether they should be allotted plots. He is concerned with
removing the encroachments and fixing responsibility on those officials who
allowed the encroachment to take place, be they from any body. According to the
MCD, in any case, they do not have any land for relocation.

This removal will probably happen in the next few days. The next date for the
matter is the 17th of this month and Jain is asking for an action taken report
to be placed before him in this regard on that date.

The above piece of writing was sent on the 6th to some people, along with my
thoughts and commentary on the judgement, the atmosphere and the comments passed
in court. Were I to reproduce those here, on a public list, it would "lead to
complete chaos and anarchy, as the majesty of law would come to disrepute and be
seriously damaged with dangerous consequences."[1] and I would  be in criminal
contempt of court[2]  under Indian law. In craven fear therefore, I am writing
them as white colour text on a white background. Look closely.

Please don't tell the police!

Damn, I think I peed in my pants.

Wetly,
Aniruddha Shankar