[Reader-list] P. Sainath :Where India shining meetsgreatdepression (The Hindu)

Faiz Ullah faizullah at NDTV.COM
Fri Apr 7 18:12:40 IST 2006

india shines at the dalal street and india shines at the campuses of the IIMs and the ISBs. As two of the students there opined at two very different instances..the murder of Manjunath and today's announcement by Arjun Singh to increase the the quota for people from the backward classes in central universities and other premier institutions.."that it'll adversely affect the palcements at the campus". Maybe the parameters have changed..success, competition, and the what education means to us.

I couldn't help but notice the way the divide between classes/castes has increased to the extent that we have even started to recognise the "otherness" of some of us, and refer to ourselves/the other very casually as "they".."they should compete on the the same ground..they should pull up their boots now..they should not have it so easily without any trace of merit". Reservation has its own problems but the schism is widening and visible now.

I'm also trying to figure out what is being dismantled and what is taking its place.

The stock exchange is climbing up a 100-200 points everyday, and what do these points represent? The health and the robustness of the indian economy and the fact that its fundamentals are sound? or they just go on to show the extent of risk people are willing to take on the belief/speculation that india is ready to deliver. Anchors toss back and forth between reporters present at jantar mantar and the "second-fashion-week".

I overheard a conversation between three airport employees on best route no.35 in bombay and they were wondering how much frenzy advani's rath yatra is going generate amidst slum demolitions and  the rocketing numbers at the stock exchange.basic material needs like housing and livelihood and the appeals of "people with capital" to the state to relax  labour laws, bring certain sectors out of regulation - in short demanding an unrestricted, unhindered run on the ramp-stand face to face. And while talking about the ramp, we'll have the report of the second enquiry commision set on the "wardrobe malfunction"at the "first-fashion-week", while 9 children have died of malnutrition in hathipada in Rural Thane.

when news channels take upon themselves to become the voice of the poor there's only precious little left for them to speak for themselves. criminalising poverty and the poor is a good way to preempt and crush the discontent and anger as and when it unfolds.

Faiz