[Reader-list] cultural preference for fair skin

shalini venugopal shalini_cancer at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 13:26:56 IST 2006

Hi all,

  I'm doing some research for a documentary on the preference for fair skin among many cultures(esp South Asian) and how the cosmetic industry has been working to maintain that preference. Just wanted to know if anyone has done any indepth research on this subject in India...anthropologists, sociologists, activists...anyone? I know of atleast one book that has been published on the subject by an American but I'm hoping to find a subcontinental perspective.

  Regards,
  Shalini