[Reader-list] More on "mandal II"

Gabriela Vargas-Cetina gabyvargasc at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Apr 13 21:41:55 IST 2006

Dear all,

As a true outsider to this debate, I just want to say this: I think quotas
are a cheap way to show a democratic face in any country.  I am a university
professor and, sure enough, some of my most brilliant students have come
from the upper echelons of different European and Latin American countries;
but every now and again I get a student from a poor family in a rural
village, and I can recognize her or his brilliance.  It is my job and that
of my colleagues to make that brilliance come out and bring the student up
to par with the best of the best from among young scholars (some of whom I
have been fortunate to teach to).  However, the unfair distribution of
elementary and secondary education affecting my and all countries I know,
ensure that only exceptionally will one of these students make it into my
university classroom.

Real democracy would be providing the best education for everyone, without
differences between rich and poor, urban and rural and so forth.  Since this
is not happening, quotas are a cheap but at this point necessary policy to
ensure that I will get at least one of those future great minds every five
years or so, because quotas notwithstanding, bright but underprivileged
students will remain so and will not get to the universities, no matter
what.

Gabriela Vargas-Cetina
Professor of Anthropology
Merida, Mexico