[Reader-list] More on "mandal II"

Gabriela Vargas-Cetina gabyvargasc at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Apr 16 22:05:58 IST 2006

Well, thank you but it is not like that: it is my and othersĀ¹ job (every
university professorĀ¹s job, from my point of view) to try to get them there,
when they come into our classrooms, but it does not mean we can actually do
it each time, often because they do not have the resources (knowledge base,
mainly) needed to take advantage of the opportunities we try to open for
them.  And it is not that I get students from my continent: I get mainly
European students through different exchange programmes, and students from
urban Yucatan.  Rarely, the come from rural Yucatan, and those are the ones
I feel I have to pay the most attention to, especially if they come from
underprivileged social strata.  In the case of India I now see your point,
and it is well taken.

Gabriela