[Reader-list] Fw: Global history translation ready

Avinash Jha avinash at csdsdelhi.org
Wed Apr 19 10:50:09 IST 2006

Global history translation ready
----- Original Message -----
From: Tord Björk
Subject: Global history translation ready

Dear all

Jan Wiklunds global history of peoples' movements has now been translated in  a first version into english - The Carriers of Democracy. The material is available in full text at Popular Movement Study Group homepage www.folkrorelser.nu/demokratins/carriers.html  It is the result of ten years work and a unique book covering all major peoples' movements the last 2 500 years written from a global perspective.

We now would like your help in spreading the material. First all comments are welcome. To our knowledge there is nothing similar in scope and time span. If you think this attempt at writing a global history is of interest and have critique, please write to us. The translation is provisional made by the author from the  original text in Swedish. It needs to be looked over before publishing. Finally we are looking for a publisher. Have you any ideas in this regard, please also contacts us

yours

Tord Björk

tord.bjork at mjv.se

Content:

Preface
1. The actors: states, capital and peoples' movements
2. The stage: the world
3. Peoples' movements before the world market system
4. Local communities' defence against the world market system
5. Wage labourers' defence against capital owners
6. System peripheries' defence against the center
7. Agriculturalists' defence against the food markets
8. Marginalized peoples' aspiration for equality
9. The self-defence of civil society
10. The peoples' movement system