[Reader-list] [Announcements] New Delhi: Citizens protest Israel's disproportionate war against Lebanon and Gaza

iram at sarai.net iram at sarai.net
Thu Aug 3 15:51:37 IST 2006

Dear Monica,
Its very commendable to have initiated and put together a letter of protest
against the present situation in Lebanon. However I would request you and
other signatories to rethink the word 'dispropotionate'. Is a propotionate
war justified? - An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a dead child for a
dead child, a wounded soldier for another wounded soldier. It is not and I
have a feeling that you and eveyone else who has signed the petition will
agree with me.
Yet including the word 'dispropotionate' in what seems like a carefully
worded call for protest does not seem like an oversight on the part of the
drafting team. In fact it reads like a statement of sorts. Though what's
being implied is not very clear to me. Perhaps someone will shed light on
this, before Saturday.
Best
Iram