[Reader-list] [Announcements] New Delhi: Citizens protest Israel's disproportionate war against Lebanon and Gaza

gowhar fazli gowharfazili at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 16:36:53 IST 2006

I think the way the protest is drafted is lame... like
dragging ones feet to protest.... too late too little
and shamefully apologetic.

I think to do honour to those who have died in this
war of aggression, probably silent observation rather
than this pitiable apology is better.

"CALL TO PROTEST ISRAEL'S DISPROPORTIONATE WAR
AGAINST LEBANON AND GAZA"

Sounds like the Lebanese and Gazans deserve to be
punished but only in right measure.

I think our senses are numbed, we don't protest
against bloodshed or injustice anymore... It doesn't
really move us... I think obscenity of Iraq did it.
What do you think?

--- iram at sarai.net wrote:

> Dear Monica,
> Its very commendable to have initiated and put
> together a letter of protest
> against the present situation in Lebanon. However I
> would request you and
> other signatories to rethink the word
> 'dispropotionate'. Is a propotionate
> war justified? - An eye for an eye, a tooth for a
> tooth, a dead child for a
> dead child, a wounded soldier for another wounded
> soldier. It is not and I
> have a feeling that you and eveyone else who has
> signed the petition will
> agree with me.
> Yet including the word 'dispropotionate' in what
> seems like a carefully
> worded call for protest does not seem like an
> oversight on the part of the
> drafting team. In fact it reads like a statement of
> sorts. Though what's
> being implied is not very clear to me. Perhaps
> someone will shed light on
> this, before Saturday.
> Best
> Iram
>

> On 9:14:15 am 08/03/06 "Monica Mody"
> <monica.mody at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [It has been suggested by some of that
> post-protest, this letter be
> > handed over to the embassies of Israel, US and UK,
> perhaps also the
> > embassies of Lebanon and Palestine.
> >
> > In the interest of transparency, would also like
> to share that there
> > have been some objections to the demand for US and
> UK to be prosecuted
> > for war crimes. Just to clarify that these two
> countries have been
> > included in the demand as they have provided
> logistical support to
> > Israel's ongoing war in Lebanon and Gaza, by
> sending bombs (US) via
> > their own airports (UK) with the knowledge that
> these are likely to
> > cause civilian deaths. This is a war crime.
> >
> > As the letter would be in final form only on
> Saturday morning, when we
> > will print it and carry to the protest, please do
> continue to send in
> > your signatures or to retract them!]
> >

> > CALL TO PROTEST ISRAEL'S DISPROPORTIONATE WAR
> AGAINST LEBANON AND GAZA
> >
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > We have watched with horror as Israel's
> disproportionate use of force
> > against the citizens of Lebanon and Palestine has
> increased daily and
> > with impunity in light of sanction for Israel from
> the United States
> > of America and the United Kingdom. Israel's
> aggression continues in
> > open defiance of calls from the rest of the
> international community
> > for an immediate cease-fire, and continues to take
> a heavy toll of
> > innocent life.
> >
> > Until today, the 2nd of August, 850 Lebanese
> including 290 children
> > have been killed and 9,00,000 Lebanese refugees
> have been displaced in
> > response to the kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers
> [...]
=== message truncated ===>

Unfortunately, the balance of nature decrees that a super-abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares.

Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.

Peter Ustinov