[Reader-list] Disproportion and the Justification of War

Mansour Aziz aziz.mansour at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 15:14:20 IST 2006

Dear Shuddha,

It is indeed ironic. I was quite uncomfortable with the use of the
same terminology for descriptive text we had been drafting for the
mapping project (lebanonmaps.org). Not incidentally, the woman who
used the term in one of the drafts is a human rights activist.

But besides my reservation, and my general agreement with you
regarding your moral position towards war, the word serves two
purposes. One is to assert the indisputable and highly distorted fact
that it is indeed a disproportionate war. Many right-wing Israeli
commentators are going mad because they just don't understand why "we
can't crush those few thousand mosquitos". I have been appalled with
American and European coverage of the war, with notable exceptions,
as if it were roughly two equal sides. The other issue is the simple
fact that there's an international law -- whether we like it or not
-- and it is through this legal (and moral) framework, once can hold
this party or that accountable for their actions.

I send you my warmest greetings.

M.