[Reader-list] Disproportion and the Justification of War

aasim khan aasim27 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Aug 4 21:29:57 IST 2006

hi...
Just thought of playing devils advocate, one day
before the rally...here are some second thoughts...I
just got reading these posts ...on why protestors
( prospective) are sounding so passive, some almost
guilty in propounding their anxieties...Should not the
debate be clear.

Frankly they seemed to to have slipped into a denial
mode as far as acceptance of the war is concerned.I
mean let us accept that Wars do happen and their
pitch( wars per year) is only getting louder( or do we
still think  that '68ers still live in the
barracks).To deny it 'in principle' as Shudbrat from
SARAI says seems a bit odd.

Yes surely to support warfare that leads to the
bloodshed of innocents is definitely not right.But
then maybe that is not exactly how we should respond
as we have;Wars are a reality that we live with( even
if we don't accept it) .

So what I suggest is that we do take an active
stand,be stakeholders atleast in building opinion on
the war.

And here the question of taking sides comes into
picture.

Who do you support?

And if I were to think of the latest war then there is
to answer the question as Israel is not right.Becaue
of the Hizbollah.Arent they commiting warfare.Yes then
the answer has to be

We oppose Israel's war and Hizbollah's war.

So if we are writng just Israel then we have to write
'disproportionate'( thats the excuse for not writing
hizbollah)

There can be several versions on different grounds( I
mentioned few in yesterday's mail)...But for now i
think there is nothing wrong with ';Disproportionate'
in the heading.Here is something i found ...worth a
read,its conversation with an american war expert
justifying( in my view) 'disproportionate' war...

The Principle of Proportional Force in Warfare
A major accomplishment of the Red Cross and other
humanitarian agencies has been the adoption by most
states of the principle that the use of force must be
proportional to the objective and the opposition
encountered. "This turn to principles is associated
with the rise of courts, of judicial review of
battlefield justice, of war criminals." While
appearing to be a genuine limitation of the evils of
war, David Kennedy suggested that this achievement has
mainly given field commanders a set of guidelines on
how to describe afterward what they would have done
anyway, or to raise objections to perceived excesses
of the enemy.

"No professional commander says, I want you to go and
commit disproportionate violence. We don’t need
international law for that. The real work begins when
the militaries disagree, when the tactics of the other
side seem disproportional. When this happens you get
the professional military leaders using the vocabulary
of international law to express their disagreement
with the tactics of the other side."

When it comes to their own side, the standard of
military men on how many civilian casualties are
permissible, Kennedy suggested, is "Not one more than
is necessary, but as many as are necessary." That is
better than no standard, but "The difficulty is that
it legitimates a great deal: all the violence that is
necessary." The humanists have accepted the premises
of the military here. "A military strategist asks: How
many civilians can you kill? 40 for a bridge, 1000 for
a city? They wont say. Humanitarians want to say you
can't target civilians, but that is not what their
vocabulary has agreed to. The military in law claims
that every target was evaluated, including by a
lawyer. But if you ask by what standard, there is
nothing inside the box, no revealed rules by which you
can judge what has been done, was it too much. Here
the pragmatic system grinds to a halt. It does not
include any specification by which to judge costs. The
main attitude of the humanitarians since the League of
Nations has been, not to outlaw war but to civilize
it."

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2006/07/17/lebano13748.htm)