[Reader-list] [Deewan] SARAI posting

Avinash Kumar avinashcold at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 17:52:22 IST 2006

Dear Kamal,

Sorry for butting in without a legitimate ground. Nevertheless thought, I
would give my two cents.I haven't read too many early detective fictions in
Hindi, so it goes with a caveat.

One of the most famous stories by Gopalram Gahmari, 'Malgodam mein Chori' is
a stark example of the way the 'modern, rational' practices of detection
methodology were sought to be acknowledged. As I remember clearly, even
though it does not talk of finger print, it talks of a 'keen, detailed'
analysis of the crime scene and not merely remains dependent on 'chance',
though, that as you correctly say, remained a principal feature in a lot of
fiction of that period.
What is further interesting in that piece is that, even as the crime has
happened somewhere in Bihar (i forget where, perhaps gaya), the detective
called into investigate is from Calcutta, the signifier for a 'modern city'
and who speaks with an English accent despite being a Bengali. Of course,
how he blends in with the local landscape singing popular Braj poetry while
doing his job, is another matter to investigate.

Second, in another novel of Gahmari, I forget the title right now and the
Shivpujan Sahay classic , 'Dehati Duniya', Jati is very prominent as once
again rightly pointed out by you. Yet, I would see it still as a result of
the very presence of colonial discourse of criminality, which fixated
certain castes, tribes under the labels of criminality. Even, the colour,
physical attributes etc as a criterion, came under the same phenomenon
largely. We are now replete with studies around this theme.

On the other hand, the role of daroga, the local police is so predominant in
these stories (and not only in these two works I am talking of) that the
picture you get is that villages are vacated en masse with the news of
arrival of the local 'daroga'. In this sense, what I would assert is given
the context, whether as a pseudo-detective posing as a city-bred man like
Holmes or as a daroga, the colonial state is omnipresent in these
narratives. What then is worth investigating is how they are renegotiating
these different roles...

Sorry, for this long mail but this, as I said is an instant reaction with a
very limited knowledge of the subject...

thanks,

avinash