[Reader-list] Richard Stallman in Calcutta

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Aug 15 18:11:06 IST 2006

The FSF works with various political parties -- whoever advocates free
software.  I don't know what the CPI(M) has done well or badly in West
Bengal, but would any of its rivals support free software at all?

I would be glad to do something with them too, if they wanted to
support us.  The point is, however, that they don't.

By the way, the CPI(M) was instrumental in blocking bad software
patent legislation a year ago, and we hope they will help block
an evil US-style copyright law being considered right now.

    As a citizen of Calcutta, I
    am
    proud and honoured that he is speaking at a public programme in my city.
    Wouldn't my sharp attack on the politician discolour such an important
    occasion?

I cannot deny your right to criticize anyone, but I think that if you
attacked him during the event itself, it would tend to hurt the free
software movement as much as or more than the CPI(M).

    Could this be done gracefully?

If you want to criticize the CPI(M) for other things, without
appearing specifically to criticize its support for free software, I
think it would make sense to keep the protest out of the the meeting
room.  But there must be opportunities every week to protest a
major political party.  Why not choose an event that relates more
directly to the things you actually want to protest?