[Reader-list] [Deewan] SARAI posting

Kamal Kumar Mishra kamal_bhu at rediffmail.com
Fri Aug 18 08:02:35 IST 2006

Dear Avinash,
Thanks a lot for your response. I tell you its really helping me think. Now I take a few issues from your post to reflect on.

1)Yes, 'chance' is there, but to what end and to what purpose? Do we simply see it as a marker of 'oriental identity' and leave it at that? Or do we explore this further in terms of contemporary writers' difficulty in comprehending the art of scientific detection itself? An associated question with its immense popularity would be why does it peter out by late colonial period to remerge later of course? Also, what about its presence in Urdu literature? Ibn-e-safi BA is still on the shelves of many conossieurs, lets look at that as well.
What I am trying to plead here is to look into the way the form has evolved over these years and it has not remained fossilised into any one slot...

During my last field-trip to Allahabad I had this opportunity to converse with Muzabir Hussain, a close friend of Asrar Saheb (Ibn-e–safi B.A.). Muzabir Saheb, an editor of RUMANI DUNIYA, had also been writing under the pen name Ibn-e-Said for the Nakhat Publications, during these years, when Asrar Saheb (ibn-e-safi) was sick and had stopped writing for JASOOSI DUNIYA.In one of these interesting conversations, I had with Muzabir Saheb, he told me that what readers like most in the novels of Asrar Saheb (mostly adaptations of the novels written in English) is his humour  mixed with suspense and this unique characterisation. Muzabir Saheb also recalls what M.L.Pandey, the pioneer writer-publisher of jasoosi novels in Allahabad in the late 40’s, use to say about the jasoosi fictions.He says, Mr. Pandey use to say that –“ghatna par ghatna ghatat jai ehi jasoosi upanyas hai”( detective fiction is nothing else but a form of fiction where there is an incident after an other.)

I think this statement is full of meaning . It gives us some idea of how these fiction writers and publishers ,of the both, colonial and post-colonial periods(if I am allowed to use these terms) use to look up on their craft. Here I would like to mention the titles of two novels written by Gopal Ram Gahmari, as well, they are –“GHARAU GHATNA” and “GHATNA GHATATOPA”. What I mean to say,( by chance vs. rationale of detection) is this technique used by these detective fiction writers of Hindi (including Gopal Ram Gahmari ).At this point, I think it wont be less interesting to take into account the 'category' provided to these fictions by the canon forming writers of “high-Hindi-literature” which is ‘Ghatna-pradhan Upanyas’(though the uses have certain reductionist connotation in this context).

As far as the context of the production of these Hindi detective novels is concerned I think one will have to locate these texts in the rich and varied field of ‘commercial- publishing’, in the late 19th century as, what Orsini says ,“Texts of pleasure” or as texts of “entertainment”(along with quissas, songs and popular poems and theatre chapbooks) ,here, we need to keep in mind this context of domain transfer from oral to print.

 Orsini talks of three forces in the field (in an un published paper titled “PRINT AND PLEASURE”) -

“1)the insertion/appearance of less or non literate audiences and their oral traditions into the print market.2)second element/force was constituted by literate, educated writers who responded to the new possibilities of print and of the market( the news paper ,commercial fiction publishing) and who created hybrid forms that harnessed resources(character, aesthetic, narrative models) from old genres to new textual dynamics(suspense, serialization) and new discorses.3) the world of commercial theatre, which put a premium on eclecticism, the “assortment of pleasures” and act as a catalyser….”And that is something most of the exiting historiography (literary history )tend to ignore. True as you say  the popularity of these “Texts of pleasure” is amazing.

I have tried to approach this genre as it has been evolving over the years never I am  looking at it as fossilised in one slot….i don’t know why do you say so? My assertions are strictly related to/based upon the novels published until 1940s.In Urdu ,too, as far as I know before Ibn-e –safi (who started writing in the50s) we have all these JASOOSI fiction writers like Mirza Hadi Ruswa ,Jafar Umar, Quaisi Rampuri,Tirath Ram Firozpuri who are blending  the old (the elements of dastans)with the new. I am sure it would be very interesting to look at the works of Ibn-e–safi. More over I proposed to work out readership aspect as well which I have not been able to do for some reasons.

2)But that's precisely my point, even where it might not have a direct role in the narrative doesn't mean state is not present!
I am not saying that state is not there but the very existence of these princely states and zamindaris also have some bearing on this literature or not?

regards!
kamal