[Reader-list] Abstracts and Biographies: 2006 Sarai-CSDS Independent Fellows Workshop

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Aug 22 05:43:37 IST 2006

Dear friends,

For those reluctant to go wandering among the blogs, this.

Please note that this is a long document: approx. 8000 words, or about
22 printed pages long.

With warm regards,
Vivek

SARAI-CSDS INDEPENDENT FELLOWSHIP WORKSHOP

24-27 August 2006
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110054

Explore the interim research postings, updates and individual blogs of
Sarai research fellows since January 2006 via a consolidated blog (still
updating): http://ifellows2006.wordpress.com/

Thursday 24 August

10.00–11.30
MICROCOSMIC VIEWS - 1

1. Dilip D'Souza, Mumbai
Village in the City: Bombay in Microcosm

I want to document not just the physical reality of villages in Bombay,
but the little signs in them that speak of a possibly disappearing, or
at least forgotten, humanity. I want to emphasize that I don't see this
project as a paean to the past, nor as a mournful ode to a
nearly-vanished history. I'm interested in making the case that life in
a city is an experience made of these small interstices. Very simply, I
would like my essays to get my readers thinking about the people who
make up a city.

For the workshop, I will read a short piece written after a visit to the
Magen Hassidim Synagogue in Agripada in Bombay.

[Dilip D'Souza, has a BE in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from
BITS Pilani and a MS in Computer Science from Brown University. Only, he
doesn't use either of those degrees now, professionally, except
peripherally. He writes for his supper, mostly about political and
social concerns, though also occasional travel writing. Dilip has won
several awards for his writing, including the Statesman Rural Reporting
Award, the Times of India/Red Cross prize, the Outlook/Picador
nonfiction prize (for which he was also, earlier,runner up), the
Sanctuary Magazine prize and more. He has written two books, "Branded by
Law" and "The Narmada Dammed" (both Penguin). Contact:
dilip.sarai at gmail.com ]

2. Abhinandita Mathur and Venu Mathur, New Delhi
My Building and the Shahar

The project presents a visual essay on our building, where about 100
Mathur families reside. Shree Ganesh Group Housing Society is one of the
many housing Societies in Patparganj that came up in the 80’s, defining
a new way of life for middle class Delhi.
Through this assemblage of the present documentation and the archives of
the past, this project attempts to map out the journey of the community
and the city from the past to what it is today.

[Venu Mathur and Abhinandita Mathur moved to Shree Ganesh Group Housing
Society in April, 1990.
Abhinandita moved to Bombay in 2002 where she works on research projects
and takes photographs.
Venu Mathur works in a five star hotel where she heads the
Tele-communication department. It is the first project of this kind that
she has worked on. She continues to live in the Mathur Society. Venu is
Abhinandita’s mother.

Website: www.mybuildingsociety.net
Contact: abhinandita @ gmail.com and venu.mathur @ gmail.com]

Mamta Mantri, Mumbai
Movie Theatres on and around Maulana Shaukat Ali Road, Mumbai

The 6 cinema halls on and around Maulana Shuakat Ali Road, near Grant
Road Station, Mumbai-- Super, Nishaat, Royal, Alfred, Roshan and
Gulshan-- have been a defining part of the neighbourhood for more than
100 years. While the neighbourhood remains in/famous for its sex workers
and gang wars, these halls remain a counter-balancing factor, allowing
for a more relaxed space. The project considers the history and
economics of the halls from both the inside and outside, as well as the
emergent relationships between the halls, hawkers, neighbours and the
area around them.

[Mamta has a Masters degree in History and English Literature from
Mumbai University,and M.Phil in English Literature from S.N.D.T.
University. She has worked as a lecturer in History, English and Media
Studies at various colleges in Mumbai. She has also worked on
independent projects such as translation, manuscript cataloguing, etc.
Contact: bawree at yahoo.com]

11.30-11.45 Refreshment Break

11.45-12.45
The Return of the Region
Chair: Ravikant

Daljit Ami, Chandigarh
Celluloid and Compact Disks in Punjab

Two different trends have been noticed in recent Punjabi film
production-- celluloid and digital video. These industries are both
successful in Punjab, although they are quite different, not only in
production format or length but also in terms of content and treatment.
Celluloid is exploring global market with emotional dilemmas
(emigration, relations) whereas digital video is turning out to be a
kind of community cinema by focusing on social-economic crises. This
study is an attempt to understand the different aspects of these twin
trends of success.

[Daljit Ami holds a Master’s degree in Ancient History from Punjab
University and writes for different newspapers about socio-political
issues concerning Punjab, especially rural Punjab. He worked as an
auditor in the Defense Audit for three years and then resigned to be a
documentary filmmaker. He has made seven films, including one about
agriculture labour in Punjab, "Born In Debt". Contact: daljitami
@rediffmail.com]

Anil Pandey, NOIDA
Desi Filmon ka Karobar (The Business of Desi Films)

[Anil Pandey is currently a Principal Correspondent with the
newsmagazine, Business & Economy. He has worked with Jansatta for five
years as a reporter and has taught journalism for another five years at
the Makhanlal Chaturvedi Patrakarita Vishwavidyalaya. Contact: panil3
@rediffmail.com]

12.45-1.45 Lunch

1.45-3.15
Microcosmic Views - 2
Chair: Monica Narula

Parismita Singh, New Delhi
“6 O’Clock” – A Series of Comic Book Stories

The stories begin in a building in Humayunpur. They then spill out into
the parks, streets and malls of the city. The various protagonists –
seen and unseen - of these short pieces all experience the terror and
ecstasy of the everyday.

At a stylistic level, central to the work is its engagement with words
and language. The narratives also explore issues of speed, light and
atmosphere.

[Parismita is a comic book artist. Her short stories, comic book pieces
and translations have been published in The Little Magazine, Tehelka and
the Katha Prize Stories 13. She has also been working in the field of
primary education. Contact: parismitasingh @ yahoo.com]

Janice Erica Pariat, New Delhi
Writing the Notion of Home and Urban Space

This is a creative writing project that broadly explores the notion of
Home. It is an attempt to understand how one forms an idea of home – not
perhaps as a geographical space but a mental landscape; images, things,
people, around whom narratives are woven in order to make them familiar,
to make them one’s own. These pieces attempt to pick up on different
aspects of the process of searching for and establishing (or not) a Home.

[ Currently based in New Delhi, Janice is a Project Fellow to Professor
Makarand Paranjape at JNU. She completed her BA in English Literature
from St Stephens College, Delhi University and her MA in Communications
from the University of London. She is also a freelance editor for
Macmillan Higher Education. Contact: janicepariat at gmail.com ]

Nandita Raman
Dilli ke Cinemagharon ka Badalta Swaroop: Ek Chhayachitran
(The Changing Face of Delhi’s Cinema Halls)

An outing and an entry into the unreal, cinema halls are a space where
tangents meet. The millionaire’s daughter falls for a taxi driver, a
Muslim marries a Hindu, a hero becomes a villain, a villain renounces
the world and the rickshaw drivers and the CEO’s watch the same film in
the same hall at the same time, one in the lower stall and the other in
the balcony. Changing times transformed this equation and stepped in the
swanky Multiplexes with expensive tickets. But tucked away in lanes
there still exist the old. This project attempts to document this
multi-dimensional transformation.
[ Nandita was born in Benaras where she did her schooling. From
1998-2000 she studied visual communication at the National Institute of
Fashion Technology, New Delhi and pursued a career in films and
photography thereafter. Since 2004 she has been an independent filmmaker
and photographer and has worked for organizations like DANIDA, CARE
India and Max New York Life Insurance.
Contact: ramannandita @ gmail.com ]

3.15-3.30 Refreshment Break

3.30-5.30
Lost and Re-imagined Lifeworlds
Chair: Sarada Balagopalan

Debjani Sengupta, New Delhi
Colony Fiction: Refugee Colonies and Their Representation in
Post-Partition Kolkata

My presentation is titled ‘Colony Fiction: Refugee colonies and their
Representation in post Partition Kolkata.’ It is an essay that tries to
look at the refugee colony as a space in texts like Meghey Dhaka Tara
and Bwadwip both novels that deal with the aftermaths of Partition. It
also looks at memoirs and other nonfictional works that talk of
colonies, their beginnings and their expansion. I also look at Bangla
poetry of the post partition years to see how a new urban poetry is
being written about an ever present reality of the city of Kolkata.

[Debjani Sengupta teaches at the Department of English, Indraprastha
College, Delhi. She is the editor of Mapmaking: Partition Stories from
Two Bengals, Shrishti Publishers, 2003. At present she is editing, with
Selina Hossain of Bangladesh, a collection of South Asian feminist
fiction. This monsoon, she has registered to begin her doctoral work on
the Bengal Partition at the Centre for Historical Studies, JNU.

email: debjanisgupta @ yahoo .com]

Uddipana Goswami, Guwahati
City as Setting: Reflections of the Changing Faces of Guwahati in
Assamese Literature

The study is a personal/personalised look at Guwahati which has evolved
in the last few years from a sedate, laid-back city to a fast-paced,
upmarket metro. The pace at and the time span in which this has happened
seems to have put everybody, especially its inhabitants off gear.
Through the analysis of a few literary representations of Guwahati, I
intend to look at sociological changes both in the city and in the city
as a setting and to relate them with contemporaneous realities.
Beginning with a questioning of my own imagination of my home, the study
also qualifies the imagination of the city by the authors under
consideration.

[Uddipana Goswami is a PhD fellow at the Centre for Studies in Social
Sciences, Calcutta (CSSSCAL). Her focus area is indigenous-settler
conflicts in Northeast India. She has done studies for the Centre for
Northeast india, South and Southeast Asia Studies (CENISEAS), Guwahati
and the University of Zurich. She has a Masters in English from Delhi
University and worked with a number of major media houses, like India
Today and National Geographic Channel (India), before turning to
research. She contributes occasional articles to Assamese dailies on
nationalism, assimilation and ethnicity. She is also a translator and
creative writer.

Contact: uddipana at gmail.com]

Maitrey Bajpai, Mumbai
Cawnpore

Once hailed by India’s British colonial rulers as the “Manchester of the
East”, the dilapidated city of “Cawnpore” in which I was born is nothing
but shadow of its former glory. Now they call it an “Industrial
Graveyard”. The closure of textile mills not only left the working class
of the city jobless, but also ruled out any possibility of emergence of
lower middle class in the city. My family, which was involved in the
cloth trade since 1907, has also suffered the burn of the closure, and
we are not alone, there are thousands like us.

This research is geared towards a documentary film. I will try to
comprehend history of Kanpur city and its mills through the stories that
its people have to tell.

[Maitrey Bajpai is a young (23) commerce graduate who recently took his
fascination for films one step further, packing his bags and coming to
Mumbai to learn filmmaking.
Contact: cawnpore at rediffmail.com]

5.45-7.30
Audible Traditions / Listening Lounge
Chair: Mahmood Farooqui

Brajesh Kumar Jha, Delhi
Hindi Cinemayee Geet aur Uska Bhashayee Safar
(The Language Journeys of Hindi Cinema)

Naresh Kumar, New Delhi
Festival of Music in the City of Sports: Harballabh Sangeet Mela of
Jalandhar

As Sarai fellow I have been working on Harballabh Sangeet Mela of
Jalandhar, a 130 years old festival of national character that
concentrates on Hindustani classical music only and doesn’t allow any
light music to be performed on its stage. Its evolution, different
phases, organizational aspects patronage networks, local audience etc
will come in this study. In addition to this my focus would be on how
the festival is taken in memories and what factors make this sammelan so
unique that for organizers, performers and for the common people it is
thought as something ‘divine’.
[To earn his bread and butter Naresh teaches social science in a
government school at Delhi. Listening to Hindustani classical music is
one of his weaknesses and he also possesses some theoretical
understanding of it. He is a student of history and is presently working
on the early phase of gramophone industry with special reference to
classical music. The history of listening in twentieth century north
India is going to be the topic of his future research. Histories of
domesticity, gender studies, and disability studies are his other areas
of interest.
email: naresh.rhythm @ gmail.com]

Budhaditya Chattopadhyay, Kolkata
Story of a Forgotten Melody: Restoring the Sound of Bishnupur Gharana

My job is to assist the memory of some lost sounds: lost from a
community of singers, musicians and musical practice. For my project
with SARAI, I am locating, documenting and restoring the recordings of
the exponents from Bishnupur Gharana to make an audio archive for
everybody. It can be used as the resource for any further research work
on the gharana system itself, or as the basis for future works.

[Budhaditya is a student of Sound Engineering at the Satyajit Ray Film
and Television Institute, Kolkata. He has been working in the area of
audio restoration for the past two years. He also produces experimental
sound art, and one of his works was recently included on CD for
commercial release in Germany.

Email: budhaditya.chattopadhyay @ gmail.com
budhaditya_chattopadhyay @ rediffmail.com]

Friday 25 August

10.00-11.00
The Telephone and the Mobile Phone
Chair: Lokesh

Girindra, New Delhi
Pravasi Ilaqe mein Telephone Booth Sanskriti
(The Culture of Telephone Booths in Migrant Communities)

delhi ke prawsi bhaul illakon mandawali aur wazirpur aur bihar ke ek
gaun shreenagar(purnea zila) ke telephone boothon ke adhayan ke dauran
kai booth mere samane aaey.delhi me telephone booth ne prawasion ke
bhasa ko badla hin sath me booth se zore log-bag bhi badle.delhi sahar
me telephone booth ke roop aur kriakalap saaf badal chuka hai. lekin
gaun ke boothon me koi khas badlaw nahi ayaa hai.wahan aaj bhi booth
office ki tarah kam kar raha hai.sabse alag baat gaun me yeh dekhne ko
mili ki wahan booth ke madhyam se aarthik soshan ho raha ha.lekin itna
to sach hai ki es sanchar kranti ke yug me booth ne prawasion ko gaun se
zora hai.

[Girindra Delhi vishwavidhalay se asnatak hun aur wartaman me dainik
akhbar VIRAT VAIBHAW delhi me reporter ke roop me kaam kar rahey hain.
Email: girindranath @ gmail.com]

Rama Rao, Bhopal
Ladkiyon ke College ka Sarvajanik Telephone aur Ab Har Hath mein Mobile
(Then and Now: The Public telephone in Girls’ Colleges and the Mobile Phone)

Rama Rao graduated from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in 1999
and has since then worked with Muskan in Madhya Pradesh in the area of
urban poverty and with Vishakha in Rajasthan on violence against women.

Email: ramaraovedula @ yahoo.com

11.00-11.15 Refreshment break

11.15-12.45
Non-Metropolitan Trajectories
Chair: Sadan Jha

Prabhat Kumar, Delhi
Yuvak Sangh aur Yuvak: 1920 ke Dashak mein Bihar ka Bauddhik Parivesh
(Yuvak Sangh and the Yuvak Magazine in the Intellectual Public Sphere in
1920s Bihar)

Rinchin, Bhopal
Tracing the History of Girls' Education in a Small Town through the Eyes
of Its First Woman Teacher

The research attempts to capture the life of a 90 year old school
teacher, who taught in the first school for girls in a small rural town
in the malwa region of Madhya Pradesh. The attempt is to use a personal
biography to capture the history of the town in the context of girls
education. The study will be bilingual and will use pictures, sketches
and written narratives.

[Rinchin currently lives in Bhopal and works in and around the state of
Madhya Pradesh with local peoples groups and organizations. She
completed her graduation in Philosophy and then her MA in Social work.
Since then, she has been working primarily with women on issues of
health, violence, gender, sexuality through community based informal
adult learning and training programmes. Writes sometimes on related issues.

She has had a continuing association autonomous peoples’, womens’ and
queer groups and has felt at most at home there.

Contact: rinchin at gmail.com ]

Mrityunjay Tripathi, Allahabad
Allahabad ki Chhatra Rajniti(Student Politics in Allahabad)

Mrityunjay Tripathi is pursuing his PhD on the Hindi novel from the
Department of Hindi, University of Allahabad.

Email: tripathi_mrityunjay at yahoo.co.in

12.45-1.45 Lunch

1.45-3.15
Local Strategies, Regimes and Ramifications
Chair: Shivam Vij

Rakshat Hooja, Jaipur
Urban Stakeholder Activism and the Role of Resident Welfare Associations

In many of the metropolitan cities of India, Resident Welfare
Associations (RWAs) have become important social institutions that play
an increasingly significant role in the lives of the residents of these
areas. In New Delhi the RWAs have become very active and over time most
of the RWAs have been registered under the Societies Act. The Government
of Delhi has also launched a “Bhagadari” scheme where the authorities
form partnerships with the local RWAs for carrying out many activities.
The purpose of my continuing study is to try and understand, or figure
out, what makes the RWAs tick. The plan is to document the activities
and functioning of a few select (selected not randomly but deliberately)
RWAs in order to understand why they are successful or not successful.
[Rakshat holds a Masters degree in Sociology from Jamia Millia Islamia,
Delhi and a M.Phil in Social Science (Science Policy) from, Jawaharlal
Nehru University, New Delhi. At present he is working towards his PhD on
the "commodification" and de-facto privatization of water in urban
areas. He has done research and published on a number of topics
including the history of video games, watershed development and
management, livestock management, open source/FLOSS software, urban
water supply etc.

email: rakshat @ gmail.com]

Amit Rai, Wardha
Harsud aur Media (Harsud and the Media)

Amit Rai is pursuing his M.Phil in Ahimsa And Peace Studies. He is a
researcher at the Mahatma Gandhi Aantarastriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya,
Wardha(Mh.), also working as Research Associate of Hindi Suchana Vishwa
Gyankosh, funded by U.G.C.

Contact: raiamit14 @ rediffmail.com

Tushar Bhor, Mumbai
Water Lenses: Prelude for a New Imagination for Urban Water in Mumbai

The paper investigates the modes of negotiation related to water
resources in the city Mumbai and attempts to formulate a new imagination
for popular discourse on the water resource acquisition, allocation and
consumptions, which also represents a case for most of the third world
cities. I will look at stories of informal water distribution in the
city of Mumbai, which, on the one hand, operate in an illegal manner but
on other hand the supply the very daily needs and related enterprises of
certain communities. Various players will be investigated ranging from
political and bureaucratic players, big and small water related
enterprises, plumbers, informal water vendors, etc. and stories will be
written about the players and the related water systems in the context
of Mumbai.

[Tushar Bhor completed his formal education in Architecture (2003) from
Mumbai and then pursued his fellowship (2004) from the same college i.e.
KRVIA, Mumbai on the Water Management. He presently works in a NGO - Aga
Khan Planning and Building Service, India and holds a position of
Program Officer. He is also part of Mumbai Fort Forum (MFF) a group of
young professionals, struggling with government agencies with an
aspiration to do some work in conservation of built environment.

Email: tushar_bhor at yahoo.com]

3.15-3.30 Refreshment Break

3.30-5.00
Subjective Sexualities
Chair: Aarti Sethi

Akshay Khanna, Delhi
Apni Jagah, Zarah Hut Ke: A “Staged Ethnography” of Space and Sexuality

The project explores the relationships between space and sexuality from
‘Queer’ perspective. The tentative suggestion is that all space can be
considered to be sexualised in one way or another; that the ’sexualness’
of a space is something that we can, and considered from a Queer
activist position, should, study in explorations of the politics
of space. Using the examples of trains, public parks and courts, it
argues that these ‘everyday’ spaces are organised in terms of
heteronormativity. The paper also examines the relevance of abstractions
of space – such as ‘national’, ‘global’ and ‘local’, that are regularly
brought into play in the negotiation of imaginaries of the sexual self.

[Akshay spends time finding ways to transgress norms of gender and
sexuality. (S)He is a founder member of Prism, a queer activist group
based in Delhi. Eariler a lawyer, he is now pursuing a PhD in Social
Anthropology at the University of Edinburgh, exploring Queer movements
in India, and the emergence of sexuality as a political object in
people's movements and civil society formations.

Email: s0454533 @ sms.ed.ac.uk]

Sheba Tejani, Mumbai
Queer Cityscapes: Exploring Mumbai Cityscapes through the Eyes of Two
Queer Women

I am attempting to create a fictional narratives of the city of Mumbai
through an audiovisual medium that is structured around the
conversations of two queer women. The conversations will work as a voice
over on a visual narrative of the cityscape and will explore issues/
experiences such as using public transport in the city, communities and
family, housing and rentals, through a queer lens. Four separate
conversations will be scripted and shot, though they will form a part of
a single visual essay, with the characters providing a sort of continuity.

The idea is to capture queer “encounters” with the city, or tap into the
continuous processes of dialogue and acts of interpretation that enable
a multi-layered connection to the urban space, or even produce it in the
first place. This allows queer women, for instance, to live in and take
the city for their own and in turn be alienated by its
homophobia and inequalities. In either case, a simple victim narrative,
one hopes, would be impossible from this position. The attempt would be,
rather, to capture moments where it is not only the city “seeing” the
queer, but the queer seeing the city.

[Sheba Tejani has an MA in economics from the New School for Social
Research, New York. She lives in Bombay and works at the Economic and
Political Weekly.

Email: shebatejani at gmail.com ]

Sidharth Srinivasan, Delhi
A Photoroman Feature Film: A Love Story Intertwined with the Myth and
Folklore of Delhi's Heritage Sites

My research is towards the completion of a screenplay for a photoroman
(a film comprised entirely of still images) titled Beeti Bahaar. Beeti
Bahaar is a love story intertwined with the popular myth and folklore of
Delhi’s heritage sites, a meditation on the possibility of an impossible
love set in and against the backdrop of spaces frozen in space and time.
Delhi’s ancient ruins, mosques and mausoleums, tombs and temples, remain
an abiding haunt for clandestine lovers. Yet there is an inherent
contradiction in the fact that these public spaces in the heart of an
urban metropolis have become synonymous with secret romance and
star-crossed love…

[Sidharth Srinivasan is an independent filmmaker based in New Delhi and
Mumbai. Sidharth graduated from St. Stephen's College and studied Still
Photography at the Triveni Kala Sangam. His debut short Swamohita
premiered in competition at the Venice Film Festival and his subsequent
DV feature Divya Drishti won 4 awards and was screened at numerous
festivals internationally.

Email: sidharth.srinivasan @ gmail.com ]

5.15-6.15
Play Reading / Performance
Chair: Shuddhabrata Sengupta

Averee Chaurey, Delhi
“The Song of the Baul”

My project entails an attempt to understand the performance tradition of
the Bauls, the singing minstrels of Bengal .Throughout history , Bauls
have remained an enigma .As a performer myself,it has been a lifelong
dream to know more about them. The output of the project will be a play
script and a performance.

[Averee Chaurey has been associated with theatre since her college days.
At Jadavpur University, Kolkata for my graduation, she was part of one
the foremost groups of Kolkata, Bohurupee, working with Shombu Mitra and
Tripti Mitra. She has acted in many plays in English, Hindi, and Bengali
and worked with Habib Tanvir, Amal Allana, Rajendranath, Feisel Alkazi,
and Tripurari Sharma. She has also worked as an announcer, newscaster,
and actress in TV serials and feature films.

Contact: avereec @ hotmail.com]

Saturday 26 August

10.00-11.30
Generic Journeys
Chair: Ravikant

Kamal Kumar Mishra, New Delhi
Hindi Hridaysthali mein Jasoosi Upanyason va Inkey Paathakon ka Ek
Samajik Itihas (A Social History of Detective Novels and Their Readers
in the Hindi Heartland)

This paper tries to look into the issues related to publishing,writing
and reading of the hindi jasoosi upanyas( detective fictions) from their
beginnings in Hindi in the late 19th century. How did
professionalization of the writer-publisher create a regular demand in
terms of readership and ensured supply? How did this genre help
professional writer-publishers to negotiate or comprehend their present
and the ever-changing publishing scene?

[Kamal K Mishra is a student of history, currently doing his M.Phil.
from Delhi University. He is a translator and the areas of his interest
are commercial publishing and the Hindi belt.

Email: kamal_bhu @ rediffmail.com]

Piyush Pandey, Delhi
News Channelon ka Satyakathakaran
(The ‘Satyakatharization’ of News Channels/On the Compulsive Crime
Reporting on TV)

Indu Verma, Mumbai
Society and the Soap Factory

The project aims to look closely into the relationship between the T.V.
Soaps & the Society. It is a close encounter with the soap factory, from
an actor’s point of view. I am trying to find the motivations of the
actors (including myself) who play these characters on daily basis. The
material I plan to submit includes analyses, reports, photographs, audio
recordings & transcripts of interviews, clippings of the actors / soaps,
etc.

[After a master's in commerce from Rajasthan University, Indu Verma
learnt acting at the National School of Drama in Delhi. She has acted in
a number of TV serials including Awaz Dil Se Dil Tak, Kitte Party, Time
Bomb, Agneepath, Joshilay, Achanak, 37 Saal Baad, Kabhi Aaye Na Judaai,
and Siddhant. She has also acted in films including Tere Naam, Paheli,
Rising, James, 9/11 The Last Fall, Humraahi (yet to be released), and
White Noise.

Email: induverma_virgo @ yahoo.co.in]

11.30-11.45 Refreshment Break

11.45-1.15
Creative Genealogies
Chair: Lawrence Liang

Dripta Piplai, Delhi
The Hegemony of Calcutta Music Schools in Tagore Songs: Towards an
Archival Preservation of 'Multiple Traditions in Rabindrasangeet'

The paper has tried to focus on the different varieties of
Rabindrasangeet which are co-existent, and tried to find out the nature
and effect of power relation involved in it. I give a brief account of
the emergence of Rabindrasangeet as a brand in 19th century Bengal,
establishment of its practice-performance centric institutions, etc.
Then, with the help of the avialable Akarmatrik notations (published by
Viswa Bharatio Music Board and recorded notations from other sources), I
have focused on the power relations between different schoolings. I will
consider the claim of ‘originality’ and the Santiniketani-gharana versus
the popular trend of Rabindrasangeet in the culture industry as central
to the power-game in the domain of Rabindrasangeet.

[Dripta Piplai is a Research student of Linguistics, pursuing an M.Phil.
from the University of Delhi, with a specialisation in 'Language in
Education' - especially the language curriculum for children. She is
also an independent researcher and performer of Rabindrasangeet, trained
from Gitabitan Shikhshayatan, Calcutta.

Contact: dripta @ hotmail.com]

Rajesh Mehar, Bangalore
Exploring Notions of Creative Ownership Among Contemporary Musicians

This research project is geared towards exploring how musicians in India
relate to their own creative output. Over the last two decades, with the
economic liberalisation of India, musicians in India are having to
negotiate, in a day-to-day manner, the implications of a system of
ownership of creative material that is new to them. Do they look at
their creative work as merely property? Or are there other relational
perspectives at work between a musician and his art?

[Rajesh Mehar is a musician and writer living and working in Bangalore.
He writes on topics related to music and musicians, especially rock
musicians in India.

Email - rajeshmehar @ yahoo.com]

Rudradeep Bhattacharjee, Mumbai
Freedom in Cyberspace in the Context of India: A Video Documentary

How do we preserve the Net’s core values and open architecture without
encouraging anarchy yet at the same time not allow cyberspace to be
smothered by superfluous and numbing regulations? The proposed
documentary, the first attempt of its kind to understand the issues
related to freedom in cyberspace in the context of a developing country
like India, asks this critical question and tries to seek answers to it.
The documentary will also be a reminder that while we debate these
issues, we cannot lose sight of the fact that a huge digital divide
exists in our country and all notions of technological freedom and
individual empowerment are superfluous while it does.

[Rudradeep Bhattacharjee is an aspiring film-maker living in Mumbai. He
has a Post-Graduate Diploma in Film and Television Production from
Xavier Institute of Communicatons, Mumbai. He describes himself as a
generalist. He does not have any hobbies.

Email: bhatt_rudra @ yahoo.com ]

1.15-2.15 Lunch

2.15-3.15
Ambiguous and Emergent Transitions
Chair: Ravi Sundaram

Sudipta Paul, Asansol
Response of the Labour Force to the Changing Urban Formation in the
Asansol Industrial Area, West Bengal

Capital has gradually liberated itself from the welfare cloak and by the
last decade of previous century it has once again returned to it’s
original business of profit maximization in the form of so called
liberalization. Looking back at this trajectory is necessary to
understand that this liberalized economy is not only a liberation from
the welfare cloak but also a conscious effort to pre-empt social and
political opposition. The process, at least in our country, is still
evolving. To explore and analyze multifarious aspects of this phenomenal
development are both challenging and exciting for any social researcher.
Presently, though, I do not intend to arrive at any comprehensive
analysis but will only look at the changes for last 15 years taking
place at Asansol region, the pre-eminent industrial area of West Bengal.

[Sudipta Paul is a Post Graduate in Electrical Engineering. She is a
certificate holder of RTP (Research Training Program) of the year
2004-05 in Centre for Studies in Social Science and Culture, Calcutta.
She was the principal investigator of the project entitled 'Collection
of Oral History of Coal Workers with special emphasis on Impact of
Outsourcing' at the V.V. Giri National Labour Institute.

Email: sdipta_paul @ yahoo.com]

Kaushiki Rao, New Delhi
Transplanting the Urban Aesthetic in a Resettlement Colony in Delhi

Kaushiki Rao has a MA in Social Science, with a focus on Anthropology
and Political Theory, from the University of Chicago. She writes on
issues of social justice, policy and governance. She currently works at
Pratham — an NGO that works in the area of primary education - and lives
in New Delhi.

email: kaushiki.rao @ gmail.com

3.15-3.30 Refreshment Break

3.30-5.00
The City and Its Discontents
Chair: Smriti Vohra

Syed Mohd. Yunus and Syed Mohd Faisal, Delhi
Asahay Mahanagar: Helpline Karyakartaon ke Nazariye Se Dilli Shahar ka
Adhyayan(Helpless City: A Study of Delhi from the Perspective of
Helpline Workers)

The research, “Asahaye Mahanagar” – “Helpless City” -- is a reflection
of the unexplored ‘parts’ of the city by helpline workers themselves,
linking them together and showing as voices of the city. It explores the
new work of help lines and the perspective of the city they allow by
presenting their encounters with it. It also describes the various
issues for which city ‘calls’ for help. It explores the multiple
meanings of a simple telephone ‘call’ for a helpline worker. Several
innovative methods have been used in this research like transit walk,
participant observation, photography and the most exciting ’sting
operation’ telephone calls.

[Yunus is a development communicator, born and brought up in Delhi, with
Social work background. He has worked on child protection issues as
Project coordinator in a child help line of Delhi. Has worked with Self
Help Groups of women with another NGO in Rajasthan. And has just
completed his Postgraduate diploma in Development Communication, from
AJK Mass communication and research center JMI.

Contact: delhi.yunus @ gmail.com ]

Peerzada Arshad Hamid, Anantnag
Exploring the Space of Psychiatric Hospitals in Srinagar

This project will study the functioning of lone psychiatric hospital of
Srinagar in the strife-torn Valley of Kashmir where thousands of people
are suffering from post traumatic stress disorders (PSTD). The 16 years
of turmoil in the state has resulted in a sharp increase in stress
related disorders especially the PSTD. The armed conflict in the state
has affected the society at large. The continued violence has made a
vast population of psychiatric patients. The research will seek to
detail the strains and pressures in the conflict ridden society leading
to the psychiatric problems among the population. It will also look into
the needs and remedies required to provide solace to the battered
population.

[Peerzada Arshad Hamid, is a Srinagar based freelance journalist. He has
written for Tehelka, Midday, and other papers, focusing on in-depth
research-based human interest stories. He holds an M. A. in Mass
communication and Journalism.

Email: peerzadaarshad @ gmail.com]

Udaykumar M, Delhi
Unravelling a 'Real' Media Incident in Trivandrum

This is an attempt to study a real incident in its own singularity.
Considering the incident as an excellent gauge of available conceptual
apparatuses, the project seeks to open up the posssibility of a few
themes in a new fashion. Despite the heavy emphasis on conceptual
aspects, a major part of this undertaking is concerned with
reconstituting the event in order for anyone to address the questions
concerning the conceptual distinction between an incident and an event;
the relationship between spectacle and spectator;and the intricacies
involved in event management by media and so on.

Udayakumar M.’s basic academic training training was in Political
Science and he completed a masters degree in the discipline from Kerala
University in 2001. Soon after, he started working as a researcher at
the Folklore Society of South Indian Languages. He worked at the society
for nine months. Since then he has been trying to maintain a sustained
engagement with several fields of knowledge which broadly come under the
rubric of Human Sciences.

Email: uk_ps at yahoo.co.uk

5.00-10.00
Launch of Sarai Reader 06: Turbulence / Dinner

Sunday 27 August

10.30-12.30
The “Foreigners” and the “Locals”
Chair: Iram Ghufran

Farhana Ibrahim, Gurgaon
Maritime Histories: Merchant Networks and the Production of Locality in
Western India

Based on fieldwork in old port towns in Kachchh and some research at the
Maharashtra state archives, this paper proposes to think about the idea
of the ‘cosmopolitan’ as we know it today, and to think through late
modernity’s idioms of rootless-ness, movement, and flexible citizenship
from the point of what we know about similar sorts of movement in the
past, to locate the ‘global citizen’ across space and time. Second, the
paper asks whether the fact of mobility or travel always implies an
inclusive consciousness; whether in fact mobility does not sometimes
more effectively and decisively seal the boundaries between us and them,
self and other?

[Farhana Ibrahim has a PhD in Sociocultural Anthropology from Cornell
University. Her dissertation research, conducted in Gujarat state's
Kachchh district, examines the production of national political cultures
through the conceptual prisms of religion, state-formation and
settlement along the borders of modern nation-states. She is currently
Assistant Professor at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Bombay.

Email: ibrahim.farhana @ gmail.com ]

Ayesha Sen Choudhury, Kolkata
Locating Sexuality through the Eyes of Afghan and Burmese Refugee Women
in Delhi

Premised on the rationale that men and women while sharing similar
circumstances of persecution may have differing perceptions of
displacement, this is a depiction of feminine spaces through the eyes of
Burmese refugee women in Delhi. Refugee situations may present new
challenges for a woman to negotiate with while probably fulfilling
various roles of a mother, a daughter and a wife to name some. It is an
attempt to identify understandings of violence, pain, pleasure,
humiliation, and empowerment through daily existence in conditions of
displacement, migration and hostile environments.

[Ayesha is a lawyer with aspirations of engaging in discourses relating
to gender and displacement. I'm a graduate from ILS Law College,
University of Pune, and currently working with Women's Rights Initiative
at the Lawyers Collective.

Email: ayeshasc @ gmail.com]

John Patrick Ojwando, Bangalore
An Exploration of the Experiences of Afro Students in South Asia

The South Asian subcontinent has been host to a slew of youngsters in
pursuit of their academic goals, many of them drawn from far flung
continents, Africa, the Middle and far East, Asia and in the recent
past, a sizeable number from Europe. Most of them seem to have been
taken by the county’s rich traditions, diverse customs and professed
hospitality. All seemed to be going well in the past but there is a
growing disenchantment slowly creeping in that could have far-reaching
consequences. Though not entirely out in the open, a sizeable number of
these students are becoming increasingly frustrated with a society they
believe is insensitive to their concerns. The paper will focus on the
experience of Afro students in India.

[John Patrick Ojwando is a Kenyan national who can also claim a little
of Indianess: he did his schooling in Kenya, then pursued his entire
higher education in India. His received his BA from Mohanlal Sukhadia
University, Udaipur and his MS in Communication from Bangalore
University. Currently, he is in the final stages of his doctoral
research program at the Department of Studies in Communication and
Journalism, University of Mysore, as a self-financing research scholar
under the guidance of Dr. N Usha Rani.

Email: ojpatrick at yahoo.com]

Mallica, New Delhi
Identities and Aspirations of Tibetan Youth in New Delhi

My research report titled ‘Identities and Aspirations of Tibetan Youth
in Delhi’ is a sociological exploration of the said issue and builds
upon my Ph.D research titled “Education of Tibetan Refugees in India:
Issues of Culture; Ethnic Identity and Opportunity” in ZHCES, Jawaharlal
Nehru University, New Delhi. I have looked at this issue through
exploration of secondary literature; discussions and semi-structured
interviews with Tibetan youth, pursuing their Graduation from Delhi
University and residing in a hostel, called the Tibetan Youth Hostel in
Rohini, New Delhi. Their identities and aspirations, seem to be living,
processual entities as well as part of a product of their past
socialization at school and/or families or both. The youth, seen as a
heterogeneous group, seem to want to preserve their core cultural values
and ethnic identity, while, at the same time, being influenced by waves
of globalization and Mcdonaldization in the city of Delhi.

[Mallica is a Ph.D research scholar at the Zakir Husain Centre for
Educational Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. She has
worked as Social Worker (for UNHCR, India); Gender Trainer (for Center
for Social Research, New Delhi) and Consultant (for Institute of Social
Studies Trust, New Delhi).She has written and published papers on issues
of education; refugee children and street girls in Delhi.

Email: mallica_jnu at yahoo.co.in]

12.30-1.30 Lunch

1.30-3.00
The Endurance of Print
Chair: Rakesh Singh

Arshad Amanullah, New Delhi
Journalism in Madrasas and Madrasas in Journalism

Through the content analysis of more than a dozen magazines interspersed
with the insights from interviews of around 30 editors and scribes, this
paper seeks to explore the fascinating world of the madrasa journals.
Apart from their thematic concerns, it brings in issues like
geographical reach and the social composition of their consumers.
Experiences of the editors and their approach to journalism also
constitute a significant part of the paper. Moreover, it helps in
developing a proper understanding of the process of bringing out wall
magazines in madrasas. It also tries to grasp new trends in the domain
of the madrasa journalism.

[Based in New Delhi, Arshad Amanullah is an independent filmmaker and
researcher. He has an M.A. in Mass communication from Jamia Millia, New
Delhi and has also studied for around 10 years in the Salafia Madrasa,
Varanasi. He has published two books and several papers, and directed
and scripted a couple of documentaries.

Contact: arshad.mcrc @ gmail.com ]

Ram Murthi Sharma, Una, Himachal Pradesh
An Analysis of Magazines in Braille

Ram Murthi Sharma has worked extensively in the field of education with
Eklavya. He prepares educational content and trains teachers and
provides consultancy. He holds a postgraduate degree in history from
Punjab University, Chandigarh.

Izhar Ahmed Nadeem, Delhi
Muslim Mahilaon ki Urdu Patrikayo ki Duniya(Urdu Women's Magazines:
Their Impact on Muslim Women)

3.00-3.15 Refreshment Break

3.15-4.45
In Search of Form - 1
Chair: Vivek Narayanan

Rajesh Kumar K, Trivandrum
An Ethnography of Teyyam Performance from a Practitioner’s Point of View

This study attempts to analyse how long-term social transformation
reflects on the life of a community in terms of their adherence to the
Teyyam performance and their traditional social position as legitimate
artists/workers of the Teyyam. The purpose of the study is to understand
the predicament of marginal communities in the larger stratified
society. Historically, marginalized/indigenous communities have been
relegated to the conditions of existence of the most backward
communities in the hierarchical social structure of India. This study
intends to investigate social meanings, and aesthetic practices of
cultural production in the contexts of Teyyam; a spirit medium ceremony
performed by lower castes and Adivasi communities which can be say as a
revenge against oppression by the dominant groups in the northern
districts of Kerala State, India. The analysis will be an ethnographic
and folkloristic discourse on behalf of the communities. This study will
have an advantage of an “insider perspective”, as the researcher himself
is an active performer of the Teyyam and will be able to combine
individual experiences with the social, cultural and economic aspects of
the community.

[Rajesh Komath is an artist and researcher. Rajesh did his Bachelor
Degree in economics, Nirmalagiri College, Kuthuparambu, Kannur;
completed his Post Graduation in Development Economics, Dr.John Matthai
Centre, University of Calicut and travelled a long way to the capital of
Kerala—Trivandrum to do his MPhil and PhD at theCentre for Development
Studies, affiliated to JNU, New Delhi. His research is on Social
Development of Teyyam Performing Community and change. "As I have been
born into a community of Teyyam performers, traditionally belonging to
North Malabar, this form has become, since childhood onwards, my life
itself."

Email: rkomathcds @ rediffmail.com, rajeshkumar @ cds.ac.in]

Aman Sethi, Delhi
Seeking Alternative Ways and Means of Representing “the Poor and the
Oppressed” by Studying Informal Networks at Labour Mandis in Delhi

Aman Sethi’s fellowship, titled “Gareeb admi ka kaun dekhta hai:
Alternative means of representation of ‘the poor and oppressed’“
focusses on building a new narrative to question existing media ractices
on representation. Using a literary-journalism, or new-journalism
format, his work seeks to configure existing hierarchies of state, the
media and the “oppressed”.

Aman Sethi is a Delhi-based reporter with the fortnightly newsmagazine,
Frontline. Contact: aman.am @ gmail.com

Rahul Pandita, Delhi
Byte Soldier: The Life and Times of a Metro TV Reporter/A Graphic Novel
in Hindi

Rahul Pandita is a Delhi-based Freelance writer and journalist. He has
formerly been a correspondent with Aaj Tak and Zee News television
channels and has reported extensively from conflict zones like Iraq,
Kashmir and India's Northeast. His articles have appeared in Outlook,
Deccan Herald, Daily Pioneer, Northeast Sun, Sahara Times, Strategic and
Defence Magazine and Finnish magazine Ihmisoikeus and Ydin.
In 2001 the National Foundation of India awarded him the Northeast Media
Fellowship. His buildungsroman, Chinar In My Veins, won an e-author
award. He is presently working on a second novel, based on the 1947
tribesmen attack on Kashmir. He is a member of World Comics India and
has been working on using comics as an alternate mode of communication.

Email: rahulpandita @ yahoo.com

4.45-5.00 Refreshment Break

5.00-6.30
In Search of Form - 2
Chair: Priya Sen

Nirupama Sekhar and Sanjay Ramchandran, Mumbai
Urban Stories: A Collection of Graphic Essays on the City of Mumbai

Urban Stories (working title) seeks to explore the myriad hues and
dimensions of the culture of the city through a collection of stylized
visual essays. Woven around Mumbai, the graphic essays will address a
host of urban issues from the aesthetics of colonial architecture to the
politics of postmodern identities. A visual experiment of sorts, Urban
Stories will employ such diverse genres as collage and typography,
illustration and photography. The resulting collection will emerge as a
unique narrative of Mumbai, its pasts and presents, peoples and places.

[Urban Stories' is a collaborative project between Nirupama Sekhar and
Sanjay Ramachandran. Alumni of the Symbiosis Institute of Mass
Communication, Pune, their previous collaborations include the short
film 'The 45 days around it' (DV; 8 min; B&W) screened at the British
Council Digital Film Festival 2004. Both are based in Mumbai.

Sanjay works in television production and is currently employed with
Channel V, Mumbai. His interests include making music and illustrations.

Nirupama also works in television production and is currently with
Contiloe Films, Mumbai. She enjoys pursuing independent projects in the
visual arts and graphic design.

Email: ramachandransanjay @ gmail.com, nirupama.sekhar @ gmail.com]

Lakshmi IndraSimhan and Jacob Weinstein, New Delhi
Vending as Vernacular: Depicting Street Sales and Services through
Sequential Art

In our project we conducted interviews with various streetside vendors
and craftsmen in New Delhi. Due to language and other difficulties we
were unable to achieve the level of detail we had originally envisioned
as the basis of our work. We spoke to a wide range of vendors, aiming to
document their skill sets, the tools and rules of their trade,
methodology, income, personal history, etc. The results of our research
are still in the process of being turned into a comic, but one that has
become increasingly fictionalized, though they still use the
conversations as basis for a series of visual narratives.

[Lakshmi IndraSimhan grew up in Kuwait, India, the Philippines, the US
and Japan. She graduated with degrees in Political Philosophy and Fine
Arts from Bryn Mawr College in 2002. Now she writes, draws and spends
much time in her flat. She collects textiles. This summer she will have
a short artist's residency at Point Ephemere in Paris. She lives in
Delhi. lindrasi @ yahoo.com

Jacob Weinstein was the art director of The Philadelphia Independent. He
is currently the designer of The Common Review. He was recently awarded
an artist's residency at the Cite Internationales des Artes in Paris. He
lives in Delhi. jacobmweinstein @ gmail.com]

Anjali Jyoti, New Delhi
Home Street Home: A Street Child Survival Guide for Delhi

Delhi is considered to have a fairly high population of street children
and there exists an extensive formal support network for them. However
lots of localized informal arrangements and systems have also evolved
over time to facilitate survival on the streets. The aim is to cross
communicate, that is to prepare a guide which makes a street child more
aware of all the formal facilities available for him in terms of work
options, health, education, shelter etc and compile a reverse guide for
the likes of us, to make us more aware of the undercurrents of life on
the streets so that the systems developed to facilitate the children of
the street can be more effective.

A booklet containing maps and pictorial information about NGOs, what
they provide for, government hospitals, educational facilities, bus
routes, rights etc. A take on street life as I have gathered over the
past 11 months, to get an idea of how wide a gap exists between what is
required and what is being provided for. Archival material to be
submitted (apart from guide): Photographs, maps/sketches made by
children, film footage on the process of map making, feedback on the
guide, etc.

[Anjali is an architect, working in Delhi for the past four years.
Presently, she is site architect and part of the project management and
LEED certification team for Development Alternatives Headquarters
building (under construction). She has dabbled in photography and film
making, and recently took pictures for a DUAC exhibition on Delhi. She
is currently working on a film on street children and their relationship
with the city, based on my research for Sarai.

email: anjalijyoti at yahoo.com ]

6.30-7.30 Closing Statements / Feedback Session