[Reader-list] Introduction and abstract

Naresh naresh.rhythm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 19:26:03 IST 2006

To earn my bread and butter I teach social science in a government school at Delhi.  Listening to Hindustani classical music is one of my weaknesses and I also possess some theoretical understanding of it. I am a student of history and presently working on the early phase of gramophone industry with special reference to classical music. The history of listening in twentieth century north India is going to be the topic of my future research. History of domesticity, gender studies, disability studies etc are my other areas of interest. As Sarai fellow I had been working on Harballabh Sangeet Mela of Jalandhar, a 130 years old festival of national character that concentrates on Hindustani classical music only and doesn't allow any light music to be performed on its stage. Its evolution, different phases, organizational aspects patronage networks, local audience etc will come in this study. In addition to this my focus would be on how the festival is taken in memories and what factors make this sammelan so unique that for organizers, performers and for the common people it is thought as something 'divine.