[Reader-list] Where did Democracy go?

Shivam Vij mallroad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 19:10:44 IST 2006

Kiran, I do not know exactly what the NoC requirements are, but roughly, the
Station Head Officer judges if the proposed protest could in any way disturb
'law and order', that is, turn violent. More controversially, an NoC may be
denied if it is felt that the protest may *provoke* violence. It's a bit
like the issues of hate speech and censorship.

Which reminds me, I've been thinking lately of Delhi as a City of Protest.
The discourse of street protest is dominated of course by the leftist
protest, replete with songs and street theatre. What a wonderful film it
would make! One could stage a protest just for the documentary, and violate
the route map given by the organiser to the police, enter "VIP zones" and
get water canons fired upon.

Are the Youth for Equality actors looking for work? Do let me know.

best,