[Reader-list] [Announcements] The Big question by Sanjeev Khandekar

Kitabmahal, The Fourth Floor info at kitabmahal.org
Mon Dec 4 12:37:03 IST 2006

The Big question by Sanjeev Khandekar
Sanjeev Khandekar is now known for his shocking, bold and what he
terms them as‘short circuiting’ images. He likes to approach his
questions head-on.

This time his new exhibition titled as ‘What do I love when I love
you, my god?’ opening on 5th Dec.2006, at Kitab Mahal, Mumbai,
viewers will be encountered once again with the mixture of the sacred
and profane, ancient and (post) modern, coded and explicit, opulent
and debased, ornate and horrific, veiled and overt, blasphemous and
pious, felonious and moral, images constructed in the L shaped space
of the gallery.

It is yet interesting to note that his new works are programmed to
get uncovered just after a week from the famous symposium of world
class biologists that was aimed to discuss ‘Beyond Belief: Science,
religion, and survival’ at La Jolla, California. The seminar mainly
focused upon ‘what, and how in place of God?’ and if the answer is
Science?
Among many questions, Sanjeev khandekar is more vocal on what
Kierkegaard mentions in his ‘fears and trembling’ that there should
be a "teleological suspension of the ethical category" in favor of
the religious. He refers to the mythology of Abraham and Issac, where
God asks to suspend the ethical in order to kill his son Isaac.
Mythologies are full of such stories, The great God Shiva asked
Shriyal and Changuna to kill and cook their son Chelaya to meet the
requairments of Dharma, or Anasuya was asked to take away her cloths
and serve naked to the ‘Tridevs’ to satisfy their right of
prelibation under religious power that they enjoyed. Sanjeev
Khandekar says that one can find some link in these stories and the
faith based politics and science that we are witnessing today. He
points out to the statements of General Boykin during recent Iraq
invasion by US, or statements of Bin Laden provoking innocents for
Jihad, or statements of our domestic leaders who really trigger off
the communal hatred. He says further, that even communists find cover
under such arguments, who use this paradigm to argue that Leninists
had the right to suspend the ethical in order to put their religious
fervor to the test by slaughtering liberal Mensheviks, and millions
of others, after theOctober revolution.

The installation of Sanjeev Khandekar, uses several real antique
objects of Indian Gods, Antique Islamic manuscript, Old objects from
church and other religious places. The market driven life of new man
is his favorite theme that is running through his series of
Installations and paintings, poems and writings. This time he has
used the logo of ebay, the super large cyber mall of the world and a
black and white portrait of Pierre Omidyar, the founder of ‘ebay’.
Sanjeev Khandekar refers Freud’s ‘Future of Illusion’ and says that
suppressing the unconscious of male type, the human civilization grew
over the years. God and religion, both had been the supports for the
suppression, however the late capitalism is designed to survive only
by a process where unleashing of unconscious becomes must. ‘I am
trying to find connection between shopping bulimia and religious
fundamentalism,’ He added.
The exhibition will be open for public viewing from 5th Dec to 16th
December 2006, excluding Sundays.