[Reader-list] more on 'Litvinenko case'

Irina Aristarkhova ixa10 at psu.edu
Sun Dec 3 21:28:18 IST 2006

 From Irina Aristarkhova:

Here is a new development in the death investigation of Sasha
Litvinenko, a former KGB agent. Julia Svetlichnaja, a PhD candidate
at Westminster University, claims she had known Litvinenko for months
before his death, and he always behaved in a strange 'movie-like'
way. It is interesting that Svetlichnaja, as her university web-page
says (http://www.wmin.ac.uk/sshl/page-1203-smhp=1), is writing a PhD
on the impact of Deleuze on art, under the supervision of Chantal
Mouffe, within the Centre for the Study of Democracy, and her thesis
title for now is 'Art of Empire?'. One wonders what it had to do with
Litvinenko? She wanted (through him) to meet with Akhmed Zakayev, a
Chechen government leader in exile, who lives in London. Below is her
article from the Observer, which also published three new photos of
Litvinenko. In another article she claims that Litvinenko wanted to
blackmail other spies and rich Russians for money:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1962759,00.html.
You can imagine that this story is particularly loved in Russia, and
not very well picked up in the West.

Strange stroll around Hyde Park that went nowhere

Julia Svetlichnaja recalls Litvinenko's eccentric behaviour

Sunday December 3, 2006
The Observer
At http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1962762,00.html

We first met beside the statue of Eros in Piccadilly Circus. Wearing
dark glasses and leather jacket, Alexander Litvinenko appeared
unexpectedly behind my back, saying: 'I was watching you from around
the corner. You are not a spy, are you?' I suggested coffee in the
nearby Caffe Nero, the first of our often chaotic, erratic
conversations we would share from last April until his death.

I asked various questions about the Chechen people in Moscow during
the Eighties and Nineties. Litvinenko, though, leapt from one exotic
story to another - secret operations in Afghanistan, a plot against
Boris Yeltsin, the assassination of former Chechen leader Dzhokhar
Dudayev; all these memories still seemed dear to his heart. In the
end I made my excuses and left.

'Try him, but filter what he says; the man rambles too much,' the
exiled Russian oligarch Boris Berezovsky had earlier warned me.
Litvinenko was the contact who, I had hoped, would introduce me to
Akhmed Zakayev, a member of the officially unrecognised Chechen
government in exile.

Ultimately, however, I almost regretted giving my email to
Litvinenko. From our first meeting he started to feed me information
with such gusto that in the weeks before his death I had started
deleting most of his messages without opening them.

The next time we met, in the summer, we ended up walking around Hyde
Park for hours. I started to wonder whether meeting Litvinenko was a
waste of time. He told me shamelessly of his blackmailing plans aimed
at Russian oligarchs. 'They have got enough, why not to share? I will
do it officially,' he said. After two hours of traipsing around the
park, I suggested we sit down somewhere. 'Professionals never sit and
talk, they walk and walk around so nobody can overhear their
conversation,' he muttered darkly.

So we carried on walking, Litvinenko regaling me with more stories
about his war against the Kremlin. 'Every time I publish something on
the Chechen press website, I piss them off. One day they will
understand who I am!' he said.

Some of his emails were confidential documents from the FSB, the
successor to the KGB; others were his own writings for the Chechen
press. Many of his 'political' texts were too obviously rants to take
seriously: one of his wildest claims was that Putin was a paedophile.

The photographs he sent were equally contradictory - one showed him
with Zakayev and Anna Politkovskaya. Next he sent me a striking
picture of himself in front of a large Union flag, holding a Chechen
sword and wearing FSB gauntlets - Litvinenko said this proclaimed his
pride in his new British citizenship.

The next meeting, in May, was arranged to take place at Litvinenko's
home in Muswell Hill, north London, where we were supposed to be
joined by Zakayev, but he did not turn up.

Litvinenko proudly told me how well his son was adapting to England
and its language while he could barely string a few sentences
together. Marina, his wife, served us dinner and tea with traditional
Russian sweets. Afterwards, we moved to the garden and eventually to
Litvinenko's study, where he showed me his stash of secret files and
photographs. It was very late when he drove me to the station. He
stopped at the traffic lights and, indicating right, suddenly turned
left into a dark alley. We drove round and round the crescent before
stopping.

'Demonstration. I was famous for getting rid of the "tail". All you
have to do is to indicate and then turn the other way,' he explained.

We sat in his car for another hour talking about life in the FSB. I
felt sorry for him. People around him seemed either deranged or were
using him for their advantage.

Despite his whistleblower past, Litvinenko was confident he was safe.
Unlike Zakayev, he willingly gave out his mobile phone number and
home address. He did not have any security. Although, in October
2004, a Molotov cocktail was thrown into Zakayev and Litvinenko's
neighbouring homes in Muswell Hill, he never contemplated moving
house.

May was the last time I saw him. Later I heard he had been poisoned
and I am ashamed to say I thought it might have been another trick to
get attention. After that I watched and read the details of his slow
death drip into the media as the polonium 210 rotted him from within.

Would Litvinenko be pleased with the paradox that since his death he
has been taken very seriously?