[Reader-list] [Announcements] Film @ Sarai: Q2P: Directed by Paromita Vohra

Aarti Sethi aarti at sarai.net
Fri Dec 8 09:37:47 IST 2006

======================Films @ Sarai: December
2006======================

Q2P
Directed by Paromita Vohra, India / 2006 / English & Hindi / 54 mins
5:00 P.M., Friday, 8 December 2006
in collaboration with Breakthrough as preview screening of the
forthcoming Third Tricontinental film festival.
Seminar Room Sarai-CSDS
29 Rajpur Road, Civil Lines

About the Film Festival

Initiated in Latin America in 2002, South Africa in 2003 and India in
2004, the TRI Continental Film Festival has become an annual platform
for narrative, documentary, feature and short length films with
themes that explore human rights issues in Latin America, Africa and
Asia - the three continents that form part of the global South. In
India, the TRI Continental Film Festival is organized by
Breakthrough, and will be held for the third time in Delhi, Kolkata,
Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore in January and February 2007. 2007 will
see newer themes explored in the festival such as the alienation
faced by call centre workers, the politics of toilets, the war on
terror, children in conflict situations, gay and transgender people
gazing and being gazed at through the lens, the lives of
revolutionary women, the predicament of undocumented immigrants and
the rights of indigenous communities. During the course of the year,
films from the TRI Continental Film Festival are also screened at
universities, cultural institutions, among practitioners of human
rights, citizens’ groups as well as general audiences across India.

  Q2P Preview Screening

Who is dreaming up the global city? Q2P peers through the dream of a
futuristic Mumbai and finds not enough public toilets. As this film
observes who has to queue to pee, we begin to understand the
imagination of gender that underlies the city’s shape and the
constantly shifting boundaries between public and private space. We
meet whimsical people with novel ideas of social change, which thrive
with mixed results. We learn of small acts of survival that people in
the city’s bottom half cobble together. In the Museum of Toilets, at
a night concert, in a New Delhi ‘international toilet’, in a Bombay
slum, we hear the silence that surrounds toilets and sense how
similar it is to the silence that surrounds inequality. The toilet
becomes a riddle with many answers and some of those answers are
questions – about gender, about class, about caste and most of all
about space, urban development and the twisted myth of the global
metropolis.

  About the Director

Paromita Vohra is a filmmaker and writer. She has written, produced
and directed Q2P (2006), Where’s Sandra (2005), Work In Progress
(2004), Cosmopolis: Two Tales Of A City (2004), Unlimited Girls
(2001), A Woman’s Place (1998), Annapurna: Goddess of Food (1995) and
A Short Film About Timei (1999). Her work as a writer includes
feature films Khamosh Pani (Silent Waters) and Khamoshi: The Musical;
the documentaries Skin Deep, A Few Things I Know About Her and If You
Pause: In A Museum of Craft as well as a series of short fiction
films on communal conflict. She writes frequently for print on urban
culture. She has worked extensively in media education with young
people with a focus on radio and teaches scriptwriting as visiting
faculty at the Sophia Polytechnic.