[Reader-list] The length and breadth of the country

Tapas Ray t.ray at vsnl.com
Sun Dec 10 21:01:32 IST 2006

Rana,

Thank you for sharing this. I think some important issues need to be
addressed here. The first, of course, is: what is globalization doing, or
has or has not done, to the Indian size? Do you know if there has been any
longitudinal (no pun intended) study on this?

> Mr Puri said that since Indians would be embarrassed about going to a
> chemist to ask for smaller condoms there > should be vending machines
> dispensing different sizes all around the country.

A practical issue would be, whether to tag the different sizes as S, M, L,
XL and XXL or in inches/centimeters. This, again, has to do with
globalization - the "standard" way of marking sizes, etc. The letter system
seems to be coming into increasing use even in India, thanks to
globalization.

> But Indian men need not be concerned about measuring up internationally
> according to Sunil Mehra, the former
> editor of the Indian version of the men's magazine Maxim.
> "It's not size, it's what you do with it that matters," he said.

That is reassuring indeed!

Tapas Ray