[Reader-list] Of differences between India and China

zainab at xtdnet.nl zainab at xtdnet.nl
Tue Dec 26 11:39:18 IST 2006

Perhaps last night's post warrants more elaboration from me.

It was last evening that a friend and I were talking and he spoke of how
Bangalore is perhaps the only city in the Milky Way which has a crossover
flyover with a traffic signal on it and how Narayan Murthy and co. have
destroyed Bangalore with their style of planning. While discussing this,
he mentioned to me that he was watching an interview on NDTV or so where
Thom Friedman asked Nandan Nilekani what was the difference between India
and China and Nandan replied saying that China does not have the problem
of democracy that India has. When my friend heard Nandan say this, he
wondered whether Nandan was even conscious of what he was saying. In
another interview, Narayan Murthy was telling Pranay Roy that cities need
czars to rule over them.

What intriguied me about Nandan Nilekani's remark that China does not have
the problem of democracy that India has is what is this democracy that
Nandan Nilekani and co are afraid of? As I look through Bangalore,
whatever bits I have come to see of it and now in Bombay as I watch forms
of urban renewal renewing this city, I understand that the aim is to
flatten contests. Taking off people from pavements and roads is a form of
flattening of democracy, the way I understand it to be. Moving poverty
away from the visible eye is flattening democracy. That occupancy is a
statement of democracy and these multiple claims are perhaps what are
urban nightmares for technocrats who need to straighten out cities.

I have no answers at this point in time, but questions that I am grappling
with. What on earth is democracy? And what on earth is this problem of
Indian democracy which according to Nandan, China seems not to have? Are
these third reichian times that we are living in?

Best,
Zainab

I was left struggling by the time I reached the end of